Got the 225 Pro XS mounted on the 2003.

ally25

That is a surprise on how it sits deeper in the back, but I have to say it looks great on there. How is the testing going?

resqu-u

That live well being full will sink the rear fast, a good 1.5-2 inches. If you've got 15 gallons in there that's an extra 120 lbs to the rear CG. Looks great through!

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I think I need a three blade. Something with less lift. The drag 4 gets the back of the boat up so well it doesn't feel locked when I'm up on the pad. It is definitely different. I think a different prop would make a world of difference. I used the drag 4 for fishing cause it had good lift for a load and my 3 blade et for speed cause it handled so well. The drag 4 for sure handles differently with the 3.0 liter. I would like to run a 28 or 30 ET and see how it runs. Plus, I am scared to move the motor height up I am at a 1/4 under right now. With less setback can you run the motor higher than you would with less?

whipper

As far as setback and hight its a ballance game. Ive heard guys run the 3.0lts lower for the most part. Like set it up to 1/2 below to 1/4 below but haven't heard anyone liking above? 4-6 inches setback seems the norm. i would stuff some buoyancy in the setback like a volley ball then inflate to help the squat when taking off and coming off plane. You should get ahold of {badbait} Bill. He has his 250xs dialed in pretty good from what I hear on his xb03 and has tried tons of different props and setups to get were hes at now. Takes alot of trial and error out of it.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Sent Bill a PM. Not sure if he has been on here for a while. I thought about adding a ball to the jack plate but, with the 5.5 inch plate. There is no room to put anything in there. My boat is a 1994. I know there is a difference in the pad compared to the 96 and up models. I think the pad is closer to the back of the boat. Anybody know the difference?

whipper

I never new the centre length was longer on any of the 03,s but if your is thats a good thing with a 3.0lt. Or did you mean the pad is overall shorter?No Bill hast been on in a while not sure why? The 96 and older 03,s lip is 60 thousands were as the newer lips on the pad are 90 thousands after 96 is all ive been told. Bill was on hear March 25th/15. Hes a pretty busy guy. i have his number if you need it PM me.

On the profile page he said 3.5 setback 1 inch above. i cant remember what he said about weather he did any lip work or not to his any more. i do remember though that seeing that these hulls were designed to run fastest with the least amount of HP when lots more is added or way more torque the stock lip creates alot of lift. It helps the boat to run level at speed with say a 150 with 12+ setback. So coming in with the setback like Bills and the heavier motor running a 30-32 pitch prop depending on the diameter perhaps running a little higher is possible? But again it all boils down to were your CG is with your load more than anything. i would think a heavier driver would run less prop shaft hight than a lighter driver for instance. Bill is on the lighter side running 1 inch above with less setback. If i was driving his boat i might need to lower the motor an inch because at 230lbs theres a lot more weight further forward with that setup and the CG would change. Your setup at 5.5 might work better with my weight for instance. Lots of experimenting to get her to feel they way you want her to feel. Just have to be careful when trying new things.

Last edited:

whipper

That Foil Ally25 has on is the same one a buddy used with his 300pm on his GS. He said it was nice to drive with that larger one on than the ally one he tried or without. He liked it either way buy with the larger foil it was so much better out of the hole. Any thing to help stop digging that hole at take off is better than nothing at all. i would imagine more so with with more weight back there.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I don't have any foil now and I don't have any trouble getting out of the hole. The bow rises pretty high but she jumps out of the hole. My problem is handling on the big end.

GotMyAlly

With less setback can you run the motor higher than you would with less?
Theoretically it should be just the opposite. The water rises as it comes off the pad. The further back you go (away from the transom), the higher you should be able to run the jackplate and still maintain the same height in relationship to the surface of the water.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I didn't take a picture but with wife dog and little girl in the boat with a empty live well she sits real close to how she di with a 2.5. I guess a full live well really squats the ass end down a lot.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I think I need a three blade. Something with less lift. The drag 4 gets the back of the boat up so well it doesn't feel locked when I'm up on the pad. It is definitely different. I think a different prop would make a world of difference. I used the drag 4 for fishing cause it had good lift for a load and my 3 blade et for speed cause it handled so well. The drag 4 for sure handles differently with the 3.0 liter. I would like to run a 28 or 30 ET and see how it runs. Plus, I am scared to move the motor height up I am at a 1/4 under right now. With less setback can you run the motor higher than you would with less?
Update: After having handling issues. I started looking everything over and found my steering was loose. I have since drove it and its night and day difference. My old Drag 4 28 was a cheap hill copy and doesn't perform all that well up top. I original bought it used very cheap for a prop to use in the Altamaha River here. That river is very shallow and stumpy. I have since bought a new one (Real Drag IV) from Roy Roach. It should be here later this week. I will update again after I drive it with the new wheel.

Last edited:

hirk

Your pad is closer by 2" so apples to apples you want 2" less setback then a 96+. Your lip is .060 instead of the .090 on the 96+'s. Like mentioned go down as you go in. I have a 9" plate with a talon and 3 wet cells set at 1/4 below and dont think I can run higher without it slipping and not responding well to trim ( just guessing on that but think its as high as it will run right as is). You are ass heavy like me and in closer so 1/2" under might run good?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Hirk, I am good for now with the set up. New prop will be here by this weekend. After I run it. Ill decide if I need to go down or up. I generally don't run light. I always have all my tackle, 3 batteries and generally everything I own for boating and fishing in the boat. So, I think I am good at 1/4 below. After tightening the steering it fixed the handling issues I was having. Thanks for the tips.

99hawk

Here is my mine with the 225 Sport XS. It does feel heavier and sits a little lower in the back. Though with that said. It runs soooo nice. I don't have to screw with it all the time like the 260. It has a lot of torque, quite, and is freaking excellent on fuel. I wanted a new Allison boat and motor setup last year and came to the conclusion that I didn't use it enough so the XB03 was repowered. The fastest that I have been has been roughly 65 Mph cruising up the lake with the family. It does need some more setup, but my time to mess with it is limited. I do need to change up the bimini. The last owner put it on and drilled it into the top rail (not impressed) I have kicked around the idea of having Allison redo it. Does anyone use a bimini that is sleek?

Attachments