good read

froggy

Gearcase Mod

I have a Titus Grisham modded sportmaster on my 280. It is a worthwhile deal! The sportmaster, before modification, was terrible on my XB 2003. Now I have a rig that I can run the creeks, we call rivers, with and not slow down. This case is a little faster than my 200/Bob's case on my rig.

froggy

merc326

cool deal, how much faster is it then the stock sports master?

sanadaracing

read a similar article in B&W mag, and that turned down cavitation plate looks cool. $600 does seem to be worthwhile considering how many hours of labor I would have to put in if I were to do it myself. Not to mention that I wont be able to do it so nicely.

froggy

Lower Unit

Merc326,

The stock sportmaster, on my rig, was darn near unmanageable. When stock, it would not take a set and kept on hunting and pecking. Now it takes a set and runs. I'd say I'm about 5+ MPH faster than the stock unit and the handling is the reason. I have only had the modded unit on the boat for two trips to the water so I have not yet figured out it's optimum height above the pad, etc. I do have a hydraulic plate and a stainless marine indicator so I really get to experiment each time I go to the water though. So far I'm running up much higher than is supposed to be safe and still going up. I will go up more as soon as I raise my motor up one set of holes (3/4") because I'm out of hydraulic travel.

froggy