Gluing down the water pump gaskets

GotMyAlly

I know most 2.5L guys have been gluing down the gaskets under the water pump housing for years. Are 3.0L guys doing that too?

dragmerc

not the same pump but i do glue 1 side against the plate. they come with a sealer on the other side against the housing but it doesn't do much. the gasket is critical on a 3L to build pressure. took 1 apart with the gasket out of place and the motor was overheating.

brotherxb03

I have never glued any water pump gasket on a Mercury V-6 or any outboard with never a gasket failure, don't see the point.

whipper

i've never glued them ever before but did mine a few days ago for the fist time because it makes sense. I change mine twice a year and over the last 20 changes or so Ive had at least 5 that had a tear or was missing a little piece. Never thought to much of that until i saw a piece stuck in the T-stat spring on another guys. So at least glued down this could never happen because I just did a light dusting all around so they cant tear no matter what. on the one I just replace the bottom gasket had a slight rip stating.

dragmerc

just my opinion, i don't think the gasket is as important in a 2.5 as it is in 3.0. i've seen 2.5s pump ok without a gasket. seems the 3.0 metal housing doesn't seal as good.

GotMyAlly

I changed mine out last week because the gasket had blown out. But honestly, had I not been really watching the water pressure, I'd never have known the difference. It idled at 3 PSI before and ran about 22 PSI in the upper-mid range. It dropped to 2 PSI at idle and 18 PSI in the upper-mid range. Even with that drop, it was still in spec. Never ran it WOT after I noticed the drop, but it never got hot running at idle up to 75 MPH.