GenII 200XS / SS2000

Lotus 50

I have been setting aside money for 2 years for a 200XS. Hopefully they make it for another two years. Funny thing, I started the 200XS account right after I bought my PM.

Q1 Would I keep my 8" Detwiler (sp?) jackplate or go manual? I vary load and water conditions a lot, so the engine goes up an down depending on needs.

Q2 Would I keep my Bob/Hydromotive worked CLE and sell the Sporty from the 200XS or keep the stock gearcase, or get the Sporty modified.

Much as I love my 225 PM, it's too thirsty for the long cruises I would like to do, so eventually I need something less thirsty. Might be a 150 HO Etec, 175XS, or 200 ROS XS. The ROS 200XS bought in the US is less expensive than a 175XS bought in the Toronto area.

I am a couple of years away, not too soon to plan/dream. I seldom go over 80, so the 150 HO would actually be fast enough.

michael j giesler

If you can swing it somehow I would get the 200ros this fall I am waiting to here how much longer they will make it as for the drag is in a holding pattern maybe forever I will find out in a couple of weeks

mxzx

Does the 200xs come in a 20" mid? The 200xs ros seems like the perfect motor. Is there a worry about swamping a 15" motor if lowered for cruising or watersports?

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

Does the 200xs come in a 20" mid? The 200xs ros seems like the perfect motor. Is there a worry about swamping a 15" motor if lowered for cruising or watersports?
Not the gen 2's, I don't think. 15" with a sporty, or 12" with a speedmaster are the only choices, as far as I know.

Dave Hensley

Michael are they going to release any 200XS ROS in the US? I heard they were all going to export. Like I said in another thread, that motor is the saviour of our little boats if Mercury would just make them available. Even if it was just powerheads. Of course they would ask $18k for a dressed powerhead. Sad, right Richard?!?!?

90 5.0

Can you buy a 200xs sport 20"??

I don't even know if that's an option?? I'd rather have a 15 but good luck getting a ros.

h2oskiier30

Michael are they going to release any 200XS ROS in the US? I heard they were all going to export. Like I said in another thread, that motor is the saviour of our little boats if Mercury would just make them available. Even if it was just powerheads. Of course they would ask $18k for a dressed powerhead. Sad, right Richard?!?!?
Dave, my understanding is that you CAN get a new 200xs ROS, but you have to pre-order it. Who to pre-order from? I have no idea. But, I know of a couple of people who have gone that route, and gotten them. Merc is reportedly only making one "batch" of them per year, and they have to be pre-ordered. That's all I've heard. Might be worth it to give someone like Lee Sanderson or Jaco's a call. If they don't know, maybe they can point you in the right direction. Last I heard they were about $18K for a complete 200XS ROS.

Dave Hensley

Dave, my understanding is that you CAN get a new 200xs ROS, but you have to pre-order it. Who to pre-order from? I have no idea. But, I know of a couple of people who have gone that route, and gotten them. Merc is reportedly only making one "batch" of them per year, and they have to be pre-ordered. That's all I've heard. Might be worth it to give someone like Lee Sanderson or Jaco's a call. If they don't know, maybe they can point you in the right direction. Last I heard they were about $18K for a complete 200XS ROS.
Yep. I think the build is 35 motors. Problem is they are all spoken for. Michael said there was only a couple of techs left assembling outboard stuff at Mother Merc Racing. Everyone else is working on that 1350 monster inboard and drives. My 2013 came from Jimmy Hensley. He had two at the time this one was bought.

I would like to have a box off of one of the 12" motors. BAM!!

Last edited:

aeneas

I think you have to be a racing team and that you order in oct or nov at a Mercury Racing dealer. Ask Lee Sanderson or those guys.

michael j giesler

You Don't have to be a race team just order it from Sanderson marine or jaco's or your local high performance marine you have to put 30% down and they build them once or sometimes twice a year I will have details next week

michael j giesler

Last year you could have purchased them for $16,500 that's a good deal in my book as for a warranty if you have a problem they have fixed them for free still for some reason they just can't advertise it some government thing my 2.5 280 in 2001 cost me $ 15,700 but if you want a new 280 they are $24,000