Gelcoat Repair

Bobalouie

I am repairing some nicks and gouges in my gelcoat. Last night, I mixed it up and filled them in. Before I went to work today I went out and checked them, and the new gel is hard, but still tacky, after drying overnight.

Is this normal, and I just need to wait longer? I figured they would be completely flashed off. The temps here are in the 75-85 range. Did I not use enough hardner or do something wrong?

The process I used was:
Cleaned the area with acetone
tape off around the gouge
mix two teaspoons of gelcoat (got from Allison) with 5 drops of hardner
Used an injection needle to put the gelcoat in the crack
Used a plastic spreader to level the gelcoat with the tape
Waited 30 min and pulled the tape off
Waited overnight to check it and its hard, but still a bit tacky

Let me know if its normal or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Iowafshr

No useful input from me, but was wondering what the cost from Allison was for materials.

Scott in MN

Many gelcoats require no air exposure to cure the top layer and I believe Allisons gel falls into this category. If you wipe off the top layer the rest of the gel should be cured. I have also put a piece of scotch tape over the gel when touching it in and the top cured.

Bobalouie

Yea, I am using both. I filled some holes up where the old trolling motor mount was with Marine tex. The little gouges and nicks I am using the Gel.

Bobalouie

No useful input from me, but was wondering what the cost from Allison was for materials.
Not sure, the stuff I have was bought by the PO and came with the boat, but I think I remember reading somewhere on here it is like $13 for a can of it. Not sure of the size, but the cans I have are about 3.5" in dia and 4-5" tall.

Tim Bostic

Many gelcoats require no air exposure to cure the top layer and I believe Allisons gel falls into this category. If you wipe off the top layer the rest of the gel should be cured. I have also put a piece of scotch tape over the gel when touching it in and the top cured.
Yeah, What Scott said......
I do the same thing with scotch tape & give it plenty of time.
I believe that gelcoat has some type of wax in it that "floats" to the surface to
block the air from it so it can cure????? Then they wipe/remove the wax before they start doing the glasswork? (Not an expert, so I could be mistaken?hehe)