Gear Ratio ?

michael j giesler

i run a ally ss comp with a 280 with drag electronic's a-48 curve here is from my experence started out blarney's is 800' ran a 1.87 with a 22 yammi turned 9200 to 9500 rpm's then tried a 2to1 gears turn a 22 yammi 9600 to 10,000 grand the key is getting a prop to hook up and carry plus once you get out of a 280 power band your not really going any faster just turning more rpms went back to my 1.87 and got a new prop much better now if it was 660' then i would go with 2to1 plus a prop that was tuned for a 1.87 will not work for crap when you go to a 2to 1 found that out the $$$$ way lots of props bought tried and sold i would buy a new prop send it to a good prop shop tell them what your running and you will be much happier plus every boat and set up is not the same hope this helps Ps that bass boat should haul a$$ with that setup

Larry D

don't know about top end. but drag racing it all about the prop. i have a friend that has always run 2.1. he runs progas, profuel, outlaw and sometimes UL. just changes props. the boat is very quick and fast. seen as high as 119 in progas on the aims. the boat won progas a few years back with 2.1's in Jasper. Casey & Eric know the boat well. a old wise man (ER) told me once. it's like a race car. you can have the most power, the best gear. but if you can't get it to hook up to the track you are done. later Larry D

hullbilly

Just for the record and to give you my opinion on your original question, if you like a 28 with 1:87's, I would suggest you try a 30 with 2:1's. However, I do agree with the others, in that, with your particular setup, a 26 with 1:87's will be the ticket for all around use. Therefore, I'd suggest a 28 with 2:1's. This of course, is in reference to "all-around" usage and not the technical evaluation of drag racing, which is a much different challenge.

I would also agree with RBT concerning gearing/torque multiplying. A lot of people have paid a lot of dues in this arena, so I'm not going to pass out free info. that was worked very hard to gather, but I will say that if you are trying to accelerate as quickly as possible, you should definitely take into account your engine's power band and torque curve. Then you should consider how much weight you are attempting to push forward with that power/torque and for what distance you are wanting to travel.

At the end of the day, and it's been mentioned a lot, there isn't a single winning setup. I believe you can win with either gear ratio (see Mr. Larry's post). It's all about testing, the rule book, and maximizing your setup's potential.

All this is just my opinion.

Last edited:

allison8503

2:1 = engine RPMS
1:75 = prop RPMS
take your setup and figure out what you need.