GAS TANK 2002

SMITTY

Probationary User
Need help ! I have a 98 2002 with a broken bilge pump looks like the only way to replace it would be to take take out the gas tank. Can anyone tell me if the big ole tank will fit through that lil ole hole I did some measurements and I just don't know I'm new to this board not to ally's Any help would be greatly app. THANKS

Butch Leslie

I have a 2002 and have replaced the pump, but mine wasn't under the gas tank, but in front of it, along with the livewell pumps. 3 pumps total. If you have to take that tank out you are in trouble. It will fit but barely.
Butch Leslie

BassAlly3

I have an '87 with the aluminum tank, it is tight but it WILL fit through "that lil ole hole" :D Take it on out and fixer up! MARK

SMITTY

Probationary User
LIL HOLE

I can see one bilge pump but it's about 1/2 under the fuel tank. I tried to pull it out but it would'nt budge . How many bilge pumps are in a 2002? 1 for aireater 1 for the bilge????? Thanks for the help.

Sking

if you could get to the discharge hose and disconnect it I'm thinkin you could leave the existing bilge pump and install another one close. Might save you the trouble of pulling the gas tank. clip the 12V wires to the existing pump, hook up a test light to find the hot lead, then just connect the leads to the new pump and your done..

jimmyb

is the bilge pump under the actual plastic gas tank or is it under the aluminum angle (that helps hold the fuel tank down)?

if it is under the aluminum angle, i believe you can remove the angle, remove the bilge pump, then reinstall the new bilge pump and angle.

i believe allison put the bilge pump under the angle to keep the bilge pump from popping off the bases in rough water

Forkin' Crazy

Mine was under the tank as well. I wanted to install an automatic unit as well as clean out the bilge... after 15 years, it was kinda nasty, :?

I removed the hatch and hinges. Then the black trim from around it, my helper and I then carefully pryed it up... it will fit, but barely.... we inched each side up until it came out... I moved the trim pump foward until I could access it by just removing the battery. BTW I also installed a pump that when it goes bad, you just unplug the wires, flip a lever and the motor can just be replaced. 8)

SMITTY

Probationary User
Bilge Blues

Thanks for the ideas . Forkin I believe mine is like yours , so I'll be pulling the tank at least I now know the tank will come out with a little finesse and vaseline. I will replum everthing so this wont be a problem in the future. This all started because I was installing a transducer in the bottom of the boat. And spied a broken bilge pump hose just the nipple it had been siliconed back together by the prev. owner. Now I know why.