Gas reading fluctuates between empty and the correct reading

champ198

I have the VDO guages, Merc Monitor, and the Merc fuel/oil harness from the gas tank to the engine computer. Lately, the Merc monitor will all of sudden warn of "low fuel". A few minutes later, it is like the fuel level shows normal. (engine is 250ProXS on 2+2)

I checked the connections - all good. Could I have a bad fuel tank float? how do I check connectivity?

Can y'all take some guesses at possible causes?

Thanks,
Duane

Meyers

It could be the ground like Neal mentioned...the fuel guage would also reflect the same issue...

It has been my experience that the merc monitors will show low fuel due to shifting fuel in rough water or driving hard in a curvy section of the river/lake. They come and go but the one thing that never is wrong is fuel used!!! If you know what you have in the tank (you know that half is roughly 18 gallons, 3/4 is 27 etc...) you can tell how much you have left based on consumption...the fuel used is measured as it flows into the motor and will not be wrong.

Not an answer to your question but the way I guage how much fuel I will need to get back to the ramp on tournament day after a long run first thing in the morning.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I noticed on mine too. As I use the boat the gauge wildly goes from full to empty. When I park the boat the gauge is pretty consistent.