Gas and Hydraulic Fluid

msagro

I am totally new to the outboard world so I have some basic questions. I just boat an XB2003 with a Mariner 2.5L Offshore, 260 HP I beleive, never been moded to my knowledge. I have been doing some research and know that I should run the fuel oil mixture at 32:1 but my question is do I run premium unleaded in it or what fuel should I run? My second question is about the hydraulic steering, is there a specific fluid that is supposed to be in it?

Thanks

RedAllison

BOOGETY BOOGETY BOOGETY, aint it the 260 Offshores that don't have a limiter on them???

:at the bar
RA

ziemer

BOOGETY BOOGETY BOOGETY, aint it the 260 Offshores that don't have a limiter on them???

:at the bar
RA
All depends on what chip is in the ECU. Ya never know with the older digital boxes cause the chips are interchangeable (and reprogrammable). :beer:

ziemer

...know that I should run the fuel oil mixture at 32:1 but my question is do I run premium unleaded in it or what fuel should I run?
Be sure to run a good oil. Can't just run the Merc or Quicksilver Premium Plus or plain ol' TWC-3.

Some of the more popular brands are:
Mercury Performance Blend
Klotz 333 or R-50
Alisyn Pro Power
Penzoil 100% Synthetic

Klotz, Alisyn and Penzoil are all full synthetic. :wink

msagro

So with this engine I should run a full synthetic oil, not a blend? I read over some of the posts in this section on oils and guys were talking about steel sleeve motors and different people saying run this and that so I was not sure what would be best, to be truthfull I have always been a big block Chevy guy. Any suggestions are deffinately appreciated.

Be sure to run a good oil. Can't just run the Merc or Quicksilver Premium Plus or plain ol' TWC-3.

Some of the more popular brands are:
Mercury Performance Blend
Klotz 333 or R-50
Alisyn Pro Power
Penzoil 100% Synthetic

Klotz, Alisyn and Penzoil are all full synthetic. :wink

h2oskiier30

260's have nicasil coated cylinders. If you have one with a hole that was steel sleeved, that is important info and will make a difference in what oil you should use.

msagro

As I stated this is my first venture in to outboards but with that being said I am not a stranger to engines. The previous owner did not do any mechanical work to the engine, and from the looks of it I would be willing to bet that It has never had the heads off of it. I have not run a leak down on it, need to go to my dads and get the leak down tester but have run a compression test with my Snap On guage set and all cylinders are between 120 and 125. I know that a compression test is subjective but with all cylinders being well within 10% I am happy that it is servicable. My plan is to use it this summer to do some fishing, no real hard running and then over next winter pull the heads off and the pistons out and check it out thoroughly and replace what needs to be replaced. Please let me know if full synthetic oil is what is called for as I do not want to damage it from lack of knowledge.

h2oskiier30

If you are sure you don't have any steel sleeves, then yes, you need to be running 100% synthetic oil at a 32:1 ratio.

ziemer

So with this engine I should run a full synthetic oil, not a blend?
Yes.

The only acceptable blend is the Mercury Performance Blend, which is their high performance oil and usually has to be ordered. Most dealers do not carry it.

The Penzoil is the most economical and usually the easiest to find. Walmart sometimes carries it, just depends on your location. If they have it, it's usually around $25.00 a gallon. The other brands, Klotz & Alisyn usually run about $40.00 a gallon.

32:1 is acceptable, but you may find it to be a little smokey at idle. If it's unbearable, you can lean it down to 40:1. I've always run mine at 40:1 and I'm going into my 4th season with this particular 260. :wink

A bit of advice, when you tear the motor down after this year (not matter who does the rebuild) you put 6 brand new pistons in it. If that motor is original (which it sounds like it is) the pistons are "side pinned" and after years of abuse they sometimes will become loose and either sink into or fall out of the piston which will create a bunch of damage. Anyway, the new pistons (either factory Mercury or Wizards) are now "top pinned" and are much more reliable.

Good luck with your new toy, have fun, and be safe. :beer:

h2oskiier30

32:1 is acceptable, but you may find it to be a little smokey at idle. If it's unbearable, you can lean it down to 40:1. I've always run mine at 40:1 and I'm going into my 4th season with this particular 260.
32:1 is RECOMMENDED by Mercury for the 260. Smokey means "lubricating". How often are you actually idling around, anyway? :beer:

ziemer

32:1 is RECOMMENDED by Mercury for the 260. Smokey means "lubricating". How often are you actually idling around, anyway? :beer:
That is also based on their Performance Blend product which is a blend and not full synthetic. Today's full synthetics provide plenty of lubrication. Don't forget, over oiling will actually lessen the octane rating of the fuel and can cause detonation, so more is not always better.

As I said, 32:1 is fine, but 40:1 is still safe. Been running like that for the last 6+ years.

msagro

32:1 is RECOMMENDED by Mercury for the 260. Smokey means "lubricating". How often are you actually idling around, anyway?

I am going to start at 32:1, as far as idling around I haven't gotten it wet at this point, hopefully tomorrow afternoon we will see how it works out.

ziemer

...I haven't gotten it wet at this point, hopefully tomorrow afternoon we will see how it works out.

Good luck and be safe.

Don't get too frustrated if it starts walking on ya bad the first few times, it happens. :beer: Plenty of well-experienced Allison drivers hanging out around here if you need any pointers. :wink :wink

Texan

I've gotta 260 - not an off shore. I've run 32:1 TCW-III with high octane pump gas for the last five years. My mechanic has advised me in this direction and has the same engine with some additional modifications. He's also successfully raced DSRA and ODBA using the same combination. I do what he says.

Just my .02.