"Funnest Allison to drive" ????

mikesufka

Gentleman -

Help me out. I've owned two Grandsports (one with a Merc 260 and one with a 200 ProV Yamaha). I boat on a bigger chain of lakes so went bigger (currently own a Spectre 30 with twin 300XS's). I'm at the point of being bored with my Spectre and want to do something different.

I love the Grandsports, but I've had two of them and might want to try something different. The two options on my list are a light XB2002 or a SS2000.

Want a easy turn key motor (i.e. 225 Promax or 225X).

Want to run 100+ MPH (is that possible with above said power?).

Anybody want to talk me into one or the other. Opinions please.

Thanks.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN

P.S. - I don't fish, but I would race John Stadola

DOUBLE J

This is my take on the two. The XB is like a XR. Very easy to drive but also very windy. The SS is like the Grandsport i.e. harder to drive but not alot of wind in the face. The SS has the speeds of the XB tho.. so the question is what do you perfer i.e. bass boat with alot of wind buffering or a sport boat which is as fast but not as much wind in the face. As I get older I find I like to run for longer periods of time at a higher rate of speed so I know which one I would be more comfortable in. Both are nice boats.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
imo the ss is better looking than xbo2 and is faster with smaller hp. Xr has the funky rear seating, prefer ss's bench.

Last edited:

John S

Micheal, Micheal, Micheal... You should've pulled the trigger on Jeff's xr when he had the mod vp cowl with that hotrod 280 on it. Would've made you smile for years. I'm sure he could put that package together again for enough dinners and drinks, lol.

With that said, I think the xb02 is the best all around allison for cruising, beach bumming, and picking up all those DDF dirties you find on Craigslist to float around the chain with. Whatever you do, go 260/280. For the hours you will put on, it would be well worth it.

john4utvols

The funniest is the SS, just because it is more of a handful. Put 1.75 gears and move the limiter to 7400 and it will run 104 all day with a promax.

allison8503

The most fun, hands down a XR-2001 drag with big power. For what it sounds like you want I would buy Clienmarks boat! XR-2002 then the XB-2002. I personally like the bass boat as a lake boat the most. Easy to get in and out of, can walk all over it. But these are just my thoughts.

SSTOM

The most fun, hands down a XR-2001 drag with big power. For what it sounds like you want I would buy Clienmarks boat! XR-2002 then the XB-2002. I personally like the bass boat as a lake boat the most. Easy to get in and out of, can walk all over it. But these are just my thoughts.
I agree 100% the SS is fun as well as the XR02 and XB02. I like the XR02 better more forgiving than the SS and faster as well also easier to get in and out of than the SS.

suicidealli

I really like an xr 01 with big power too.. Nothing like it. Mine will run 101 around 600' I get a rush every pass. I haven't raced in 2 years, and just can't sell it.. Also awesome for big number too. I was on a river run 2 years ago. I had a 26 small ear chopper on, nothing special I looked at the tach and I was turning 9800, just playing... We got back to the ramp I. Checked the gps and it said 116. Couldn't believe it... Just doesn't feel that fast in a drag. Fastest I have been is 123 with a 28p. Again playing not WAO. They are incredible boats....

I love my xb 2002 as well. Awesome lake boat, easy to get in/out. I fish some, and great storage. They run good numbers too, but I don't feel safe anymore running big speeds.

An SS is the most challenging boat to drive. They are a blast, and very quick. I raced mine 800' in a lake racer class. Complete blast. Just not a family boat, and they will bust ur a$$ as soon as you think you are the man!

I like the 03 if you need more seats. Great Lake boat.

I have never driven an xr 2002, but I hear they are a rough riding boat for lake use.. We all know they run big numbers, and very quick... I will own one one day I'm sure...

I guess I like them all!!!! Lol

Roy

BGohr

Funnest Allison to drive?

The one in front of Cleinmark...................

mikesufka

Thanks for the reponses -

I like this quote:

An SS is the most challenging boat to drive. They are a blast, and very quick. I raced mine 800' in a lake racer class. Complete blast. Just not a family boat, and they will bust ur a$$ as soon as you think you are the man!

I think I'll be on the search for an SS2000 at some point.

MDS

catfish123

The one that is "funnest" is the one that is paid for so that the only thing you have to worry about is filling up the gas tank for a fire breathing outboard.

skewby

i agree with catfish 100% my 02 was the best but now my 03 is. i'd go bankrupt if i had a payment and a fuel bill