Fuel gauge reading

Ltcbutch

What would cause my fuel gauge to not read proper. Full tank and its only reading a little over 1/4 tank. Ran out about 8-10 gallons this morning and it didn't appear to move.

Was working fine a couple weeks ago but noticed this last weekend it was sporadic and now its as stated above.

Thanks
Butch

whipper

I know mine when its lower doest read very good. I just take a visual when im getting lower. Mine reads 1/4 when theres that much or even less. Also the stern is not level in the water and tank is mounted flush not angled to compansate for the engine weight might have somthing to do with it? On a level trailer Ill bet she reads better.:big grin Most marine fuel guages seem to be like this Ive found.

Bobalouie

Pull the float and check it for a hole. My boat is only 2 years old and its on its second float.

reward69

What I found with mine was that the tank itself is sagging in the middle where the sending unit is mounted. This caused it to not read correctly or at all when the tank gets below half. The sagging keeps the sending unit off level, when you loosen it and level it, it will read correctly. I made a off camber spacer out of aluminum that keeps the sending unit level and havent had any issues since.