Fuel Additives

gmorgan

I bought an XB2003 last fall with a stock '97 225 Mariner Super Mag on it. Only change in the motor since new is supposed to be prior owner had the limiter raised to 7600. Motor is stout and runs great, turns a Mercury Chopper II 30P 7200, gps shows 98 with boat ready to fish, just driver and light on fuel on a good air day.
Now, that you have the background, my question is what combination of fuel and additives should I be using? I have been running straight 93 octane pump gas with ethanol and adding either SeaFoam, Stabil or a Mercury product. So far so good, but I wanted to know what you guys say. I can only find 87 octane nonethanol gas, no 93 octane nonethanol gas locally. Also wondering about the use of ACES as an additive.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never had any issues with the ethanol fuels. I run a can of seafoam now and then, try to put stabil in over the winter when it doesn't get used much. Accidentally let it sit one winter with just seafoam and no stabil and it ran great when I got it out in the spring.

ROBERT CROSS

Just what I do.....
Run 91 E-free with Aces, 1oz. to 6gal.
I have used 87-89 E-10 with Aces with no problems when 91 clean is not available.
FWIW....we have averaged 40-50hrs engine time per Season, 1gal of Aces has lasted 2+Seasons, well worth the peace-of-mind.
Syphon tank for Winter storage, add about 2 gal gas with Sta-bil Marine.
WD40 sprayed in cylinders, turn over by hand, replace plugs.
Fill completely at Spring get-ready. Tank is either empty for long storage or full for short,(between outings).

Bob
:cool:

280hunter

I use a bottle of sea-foam about once a month in my 280 and so far have had no issues, so far always runs like a top.

hirk

Just a steady diet of seafoam and 91 ethanol free and stabil for winter lay up but seafoam is a stabilizer too. The seafoam keeps carbon off my prop barrel so there is no doubt it prevents carbon build up inside.