Front compartment lid Mods

Larry33kc

I have 2003 and I would like to know if anyone has done any Mods to there front compartment lid to make it easier to get into it.

I hate that I have to fight all my rods to get any tackle out of it so I am thinking about cutting it in the middle and makeing it hinge the regular way and also toward the middle.

I would like to see PICS and ideas if anyone has them

chad202

Why are you fighting rods? Are your rods not in the rod storage compartment on the side? The only mod I thought about doing was change the hinges around so the center compartment opened to the rear. This way I could just turn around, sqwat down and get my tackle.

Larry33kc

When I have my rods on the deck to fish and I need in the compartment I will push them over and they always slide back in my way before I get the lid closed.

So I thought I would cut it in the middle to hinge half of the lid to the middle

chad202

Oh. What I do is when I stop to fish, I slide my rods(i only keep 3-4 on the deck) all the way back where it is wider and that way they don't get in my feet or in the way of the storage lid.

dspencer

Larry, Just a thought but instead of cutting the lid why don't you just put the hinges on the starboard side and put a piston to keep the lid open. Like on the rear lids.

Just a thought. I have one with no compartment at all. Anybody put one in theirs?

froggy

Some of us are changing the hinges so the compartment will open from the front. The only worry is if you forget to snap it shut and go for a run, the compartment lid will open and you might get a surprise. In order to keep Murphy at bay, we are installing a second lid hold down---a bungee device that Darris uses to hold the rear cowling on the XR 2001 (the same as was used to hold the engine cowling on the pre-alien, performance cowlings). This gives you a 'visual' check before departing to the driver's seat. Incidentally, it will not get in the way either.

Next will be a, stainless tube, handrail, that follows the windshield contour and stands a couple inches above it (easier to mount/dismount in a rough wind).

Just my $.02

froggy

GFinch

Next will be a, stainless tube, handrail, that follows the windshield contour and stands a couple inches above it (easier to mount/dismount in a rough wind).

:beer: Soon before I fall. Please!

Larry33kc

Great ideas,, I like the grab rail idea I could use one of those

fishnfireman

I turned the lid around on my old 2003..

I have also changed one of the lids on my 21 prosport. so it opens to the inside.

I am going to do the grab rail as Froggy is......just have not done it yet..
A good model would be from the gambler boats. I loved the one my old 209 had..