Freeze Up??

I/O to O/B

Hey Boys. So, my 03 has been high and dry on a lift for a good month and half. The 225 PM was completely out of the water and tucked right in. The temps up here in the great white north have dipped just below freezing the last couple of nights. I got the boat off the lift yesterday, it took a considerable number of cranks to get her fired up prolly cause of the cold, weakened battery, etc. I finally got her started, let it idle for about 30 seconds, then backed it out, got it up to maybe 3k rpm, and noticed the temp gauge up to 240, so I shut her down. No alarm of any kind went off. No surprise when I checked to see no flow of any kind out the pee hole.
So, would all the water have not drained out of the entire engine, including the block, since the engine was high and dry? If not, might whatever water was there have froze and prevented water circulation? Most important, might I have fcked the block? I'm hoping the impeller just blew, or maybe sand in the lwp... Thanks for the help.

Fishforcash

Once the lower comes out of the water and the motor is down the water should all drain out. I've had multible boats with outboards from OMC, Yamaha, Mercury sit in a slip on a lift and NEVER had anything freeze and bust.

I/O to O/B

Thanks guys - will sleep a bit better. Hope I didn't damage the block when she heated up. Isn't there am alarm of some kind on the engine that goes off or shuts it down once a certain temp. is reached?

whipper

Thanks guys - will sleep a bit better. Hope I didn't damage the block when she heated up. Isn't there am alarm of some kind on the engine that goes off or shuts it down once a certain temp. is reached?
Na your engines probably fine. The 225PM is a very forgiving engine to say the least!!
Good gas good oil good ta go. They will run until they go pop!! Even then they might still run. Like Gary said bugs or impeller might have a rip in the gasket or somthing. I would on a warmer day run a hose and see if you can get water out the pee hole. Your T-stats might need replacing also? I would just replace the impeller in the spring if you dont get any decent weather till then run the hose change the T-stats and as long as you get water you should be good to go. Ive heated mine up till the buzzer shut the engine down from sand 3 or 4 years ago and she still pers like a kitten and runs like a top to 7500rpm. Do the cooling things in prep for summer and try her again then. Right down what happen in a little book and put it in the boat so ya remember what ya gota do.

Last edited:

suicidealli

i dont know 240 on a steel sleeve motor is real bad. i got a 260 240* once and it egged a couple of cylinders, and i was told if it was a steel sleeve it would have been worse. pull the heads, and have a guy check the cylinders to see if they are still round. there are tools out there to straighten the bores up. jay smith sell them, and so does mike @ outback outboards. i like mikes better. you must have the right tools, and someone that has done it before. dont take a chance. rbt up there in canada can do it. dont know how close you are to him.... 240 is hot!!!! JMO

roy

bringit

how long has it been since a new pump was put in?dobbers,time for pump,gasket,restriction,all could be faults.what was water press?just throwing some stuff out there,have u ever fired it up without water anytime?over a period of doing so it will take a toll on the pump.i have seen all of these cause this issue.not trying to put u on the spot,just possibilities.

nort

This time of year not likely to be bugs in your pee hole:gasp
Probably an ice terd stuck in your water pump. The down side to late season boating in The Great White North.
This time of year I always role mine over a couple of turns to clear any water out of the pump.
Just my .02
Hope she's ok
Just for s#@ts and giggles do comp. and leakdown. That should tell the story.

suicidealli

the one i got hot the piston scuffed the cyl a little. if you didnt get an alarm, it may have gotten hot the last time you ran it too.. pull the heads check it out. gaskets are cheap.JMO

roy