For Jim.....

whipper

Guy sounds like Elvis and the band is fantastic!! Gota love the stand up bass and that lead Guitarist is really really good. I love that tune and these guys are tight!!

FlatOutAlly

Exactly what I thought, James. Figured it would be right up RA's alley. BTW, Jeff Beck ain't just any other very good guitarist. He pretty much owns it. Nobody better.

RedAllison

I knew when I saw Beck it was gonna be GREAT! :wink

The early English dudes "got" what the early rock and rockabilly forefathers were about, muuuch moreso than the folks here in America. I've always been most proud of my homecity of Jackson, TN as being "Rockabilly Ground Zero" with the godfather of Rockabilly Mr. Carl "Blue Suede Shoes" Perkins having been from here and Elvis' first guitarist Scotty Moore is from a "suburb" of Jackson in nearby Humboldt, TN. Those two guys had a HUGE impact on the electric guitar sound that eminates from Rock and really all styles of popular music today.

I was at Carl Perkins' funeral here in Jackson in '98 and his service was handled by many of his "star friends" like Winona Judd, Ricky Skaggs, Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus and many others there as well as his Sun Records friends Sam Phillips, Rufus Thomas and of course Jerry Lee Lewis. But what I was most impressed with was that Mr. Carl's service was closed by George Harrison himself! :shock: How many can say they were sent off by a Beatle??? (Sorry quality clip but here is the service and George leading with Mr. Carl's "True Love") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhodRyCifWI The Beatles were HUGE fans and became great friends with Mr. Carl. In fact George stayed with the Perkins' family the week after Mr. Carl's passing. I remember seeing George driving around in one of Mr. Carl's cars here in town. I often laugh and think how many places he went to where he wasn't recognized by some youngster behind a cash register. :smile

It's quite amazing when you study the true legends of rock and a large number of them are English acts like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton etc... and the majority of them were heavily influenced by what we today call "early rock & roll, rockabilly" and of course the blues. Many say the Beatles "set in stone" or cut the blueprint for what a modern rock band was supposed to do and sound like. Personally I think they never would've been nearly as impactful had it not been for the guitar style of George Harrison and of course he got that straight from the early guys like Scotty Moore and ESPECIALLY Carl Perkins.

My own opinion of why "it happened" in Memphis was one simply of location. It's kinda situated between Nashville and the MS River delta so you had the black blues artists on one side of town (Beale Street) and then the influence of Nashville combined with a "church on every corner" for the gospel influence around the city. As they say, "The rest is history".

Speakin of history, I STILL say this is THE best "explanation" of it EVER done. I remember when this was done in Memphis back in 1985, still have the original cassette "Class of 55". The video was shot in Memphis with Mr. Carl, Jerry Lee "Killer" Lewis and of course a Jeff Beck player and Rolling Stones man... Ronnie Wood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG8pDnMEy1c

THANKS forda link, ALWAYS lovin respect for the guys who made it all possible. :beer:
RA

FlatOutAlly

Oh yeah.... My Dad woulda kicked my *** for puttin' my feet on the back of his seat like that. Even if I was Ron Wood. lol. Gotta love that Caddy. It screams old time Rock-n-Roll.

RedAllison

Despite all my toys (and I'll hang onto the Chevelle because it was my dads) but my A #1 goal before they throw dirt in my face is to have a 50s Cadillac of some vintage, drop top and I'd even go so far as to have a "resto mod" with modern running gear, a/c and a big block chevy doin the pushin. :cool: (And YEP I'll putta hitch on it and pull da big red barge for farts n giggles)

Mrs. Perkins sold Mr. Carl's bassboat after he passed. I think it was a 17ft Procraft with about a 115 on it, if I had the room to keep it indoors I woulda bought it just for the hell of it. How cool would it have been to say that you have "The Godfather of Rockabilly's Bassboat"? :gone fishing

Mr. Carl was a jokester but first and foremost he was a KIND KIND KIND man who would just drive/walk around town like anybody else. He came up from NOTHING, his parents were sharecroppers in the MS River delta of northwest TN and he was even abused as a child. (Thus his commitment too raising money and awareness for child abuse and founding The Exchange Club/Carl Perkins Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse of which there are several in the west TN area!) Tho he wrote many hits he often said he was glad he did NOT have another Blue Suede Shoes because he was afraid it would've changed he and his family! One day he was out mowing his lawn (nice home on the fairway of our local country club) and a lady drove by who had NO clue who he was. She pulled over and asked him how much he charged for doing yards? Without missing a beat Mr. Carl replied, "I don't charge this lady anything, she lets me sleep with her!" :LMAO:

That's what their music, life and style was all about, FUN!!! :beer:
RA

Last edited:

FlatOutAlly

A convertible 50's Caddy would be the ULTIMATE go to the river with the boat tow vehicle. All that wind gets you ready for the REAL ride on the water.

Side story: Got a budddy that had a early 60's open caddy (not pristine, especially after what you're about to read) he pulled his boat with sometimes. He took it to the river for our usual (in those days) 5 or 6 day feet abusing 4th of July trip to the sand bar. On the return trip to the ramp he couldn't find the car/trailer. He ended up calling the cops and told them someone stole his stuff. They couldn't stop laughing. No one stole your car Bill. You left it running on the ramp. It's in the back lot here. I can't believe they didn't make him blow. Top was still down. Much moisture on the floor pans. Took me a week to quit laughing about it whenever I thought about it. Those were the daze....

RedAllison

Oh I'm here, ESPECIALLY for good music! :at the bar

Rockabilly is one of my favorite subjects, we can talk about it ANYTIME. The Rockabilly Hall of Fame is here in downtown Jackson and theres always artists coming and going around here. I'm buds with Carl Perkins' own son Stan, himself quite a guitarist and entertainer. He grew up on his fathers stage and still plays tours from London too Christchurch! Yet when Stan is in town he still plays the guitar every Sunday at our church along with his wife singing in the choir.

Just look at the european megastars on this stage as "King Carl" holds court. Whoelse could've attracted 2 Beatles and Eric Clapton at the same time? :cool

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=s24XdYrRaek

And lets not forget another musical icon from Jackson and another rockabilly legend who shares a REAL common link with EVERYONE on this board, Mr. W.S. "Fluke" Holland. Fluke was the ONLY drummer Johnny Cash ever had and was the reason Cashes band "the TN Two" became "the TN Three"! Yep that WORLD FAMOUS and ever present "Boom shooka boom shooka" beat in the Cash sound was ALWAYS W.S.s hands in action! Here's W.S. at the drums when Cash did Folsom Prison Blues at San Quentin Prison, THIS is American history stuff in my book!!! http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=N5Ts4M3irWM

Here's one with W.S. drummin behind June & Johnny PLUS does that blue guitar and the gent playin it look familiar? It's Carl Perkins, he played guitar for Johnny many times in the late 60s thru the 70s! http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=nzhzCF77GDo

W.S. is linked with ALL of us because he is a lifetime hotboater and owns a XR2001 with an ol Bridgeport on it!!! :cool: W.S got tired of driving the boat so he glassed sponsons on the outside of his 01 so he holds the distinction of owning the worlds only "tunnel vee" xr2001. :razz I'm gonna try like hell to FINALLY get W.S. to bring his tunnel 01 and visit us at Clifton this year!!!!!!!!!!!

This music is soooooooo much more than music,
RA

Last edited: