Follow up to "Another New Allison Owner" post

JGray

I am looking for advice/opinions on guages on my '96 2003 ProSport/'96 225 PM. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago and the fuel guage is not working (not sure if it is the guage or the sending unit); speedo does not work (previous owner verified the guage is bad); water pressure guage reads low after impellar was replaced by prev. owner (less than 10 psi, but water temp. looks okay: between 100-150 deg.). Prev. owner thought water pressure guage was probably bad, but I notice the pee stream looks weak (intermittant at idle and a trickle rather than steady stream when throttle is applied: is this normal?). Now, the tach is starting to jump around, up and down for a minute or so at a time (up to 1000 rpm either way) without changing actual rpm. Prev. owner felt that all the guages probably should be replaced and that is what he was intending to do if he kept the boat. I am now considering replacing all of them, and wondered what everyone's preference is on guages: order replacements from Allison or go with another manufacturer (Gaffrig, etc.).

By the way, I just received my 26" Hydro. OTIV and am very pleased so far. I have very little seat time and initially could only drive the boat to 5000 rpm with the 30" Chopper. I can now get the Chopper to 6000 (WOT) for short runs, and I am able to get to 6500 (WOT) with the OTIV. I still have work to do on the steering and set-up, but am trying to go slow and make one change at a time. I did raise the motor from 1-1/2" below pad (original set-up from prev. owner) to 3/4" below. Steering torque seems to be more severe than it should, particularily with the Chopper, before and after raising the motor. What direction is typically the best way to proceed to reduce the torque? Will adding more set-back have any affect? I am currently at 12" and can go to 13-1/2" with the plate I have.

Thanks - Jerry

David Lanham

water will only come out of the pee hole when then inside water temp reaches the T-stat openening temp which is near 135 to 140 F. This usaully occurs at iddle speed. water should not come out of the p hole if temp is below this temp range.

once under plane, the popet valve flows extra warter and usually the temp is below the t-stat opening temp Ie, no water out of p-hole.

BUT, i've seeN pro max's run 150F on plane and water will flow out of p-hole.

JGray

Thanks David - that would explain it: the lake water and ambient temps are fairly cool right now, and I don't believe the temp. guage has been above 135 - 140F.

Jerry

chad202

You may need to check your poppit valve, if it's stuck open or spring is weak, it could flow more water thru the block which may be why the pressure and temp is down.

xb2003

As far as gauges...Check out Pit stop marine for the nordskog gauges. For gaggrig take a look at Trick marine...They all with in a couple dollars from one another so it's just up to you.

As far as ya tach...Pull ya cowling and take a look at your voltage regulators....The little square things on top of each head. Look at the one that has the gray wire (tach) plugged into it and smell that one. If it's bad it will smell burnt. Unplug the grey wire from the bad one and plug it into the other and see if anything changes.

I have a 8K tack with the Allison logo in it I will sell for 50 shipped if ya want it.

LAAllison

Here's a thought on GPS gauges---Jegs has them in the lastest catalog. Don't have the book with me but I think the price was $379.00 for speedo with a tach and voltmeter in the same digital gauge. Art