flywheel

GPI Racing

Oh-oh! I sense a monster being created.

But to be honest if you could take 1/2 the weight off I doubt you'd tell the diff. I'd love to modify a 200 opti a little I just don't think you'd want to be the guinee pig! :? It could be expensive during the leaning curve. There is no reason that the 200xs etc can't make 300hp.(with porting etc.) The trick is the fuel control. What the compressor and fuel rail with the injectors are capable of is a closely guarded secret at Mercury. The other problem is the smog police. If (and only if) someone wanted to turn us in, we be in jail without much of a defence. I don't have the instruments to get the fuel curve precise enough to meet the smog rules. Maybe in the next year or two we'll build one....

Randy

John S

When I was at the landing the last time, there was a fella that asked me how fast it went. I told him I was still setting it up, but I hoped for 90's. He then asked me why the hell I wanted to go 90. My reply was " Cause I dont think it will go 100!!!" Yes Randy, horsepower is cool. And like eveyone else here, I always want more!!!

Maybe the future of power is on www.mountainmania.com

Just a thaught......

jimmyb

the cheapest and easiest way to get speed from a 200XS is thru setup, setup, and props. the 200XS was designed to run strong, reliably and hard... you will be MUCH better off (money wise and sanity) by keeping the 200XS powerhead stock and buying a drop on EFI or carb 2.5L powerhead to play with. Keep the 200XS powerhead as backup for when your "go fast" powerhead blows :)

the fuel mapping on those motors is very complicated... makes a normal EFI map seem simple... you have 5 major variables to play with on a DFI motor: spark, start of air injection, end of air injection, start of fuel injection, and duration of fuel injection. All those variables have to be manipulated in concert with each other, because they all have an effect...

John S

BP, the problem I got is that this time of year all my toys are stuck. The lake just got a coat of ice, so the boat is parked. But there aint no snow to run the snocat, so I just sit in front of my toolbox and think of ways to make em faster!! I think Jimmy read my mind. Last time I was up at GPI, we did talk a little about some things Randy has, and I could swear those powerheads were talking to me. Maybe Im talking too soon, cause I dont have the setup on the rig yet, but I just would love to have a motor I could play with, kind of do a stage buildup. Im not really interested in big topend #s, more about organ rearranging acceleration. The kind where you get up to walk, and youre leaning back at at a 30 degree angle for awhile! Randy, I tell ya what, Ill give ya the xs for a guinea pig, and you give me that fire spittin, monster you got, and well call it even! :lol: That way, I wont be the one in Folsom prison telling my roomie thats in for sexually molesting a dead horse, that Im in for tampering with the smog rating on my motor. Not my idea of a vacation. I gotta go work on my sled now, I know its got more in it!!!! :twisted:

Thanks for the input guys-John S

B

BP

Sorry for the bad pun, but I am in the same boat as you with wintertime. Took the lower unit off my boat and stashed in the basement till warmer weather returns :(
We don't even get enough snow here to make snowmobiling a worth while activity.
I understand totally.
An idle mind is the devils playground :twisted: