First Allison, 1997 XB2003

hunter35745

On 3/11/23 I purchased a used 97 in good condition with a 2013 225 Mercury. This is my first Allison and it is definitely a different beast from anything else I have driven. Today was the maiden voyage and I could run 73-74 no problem, any more throttle or trim and it got really hairy quick. Im hoping it will come together quickly but I guess I am just going to need seat time.

22R

Congratulations and post some pics. Yes seat time will help. Do you have a copy of the Allison Red book?
Keep your lanyard attached and wear a good life vest at all times. Not much traffic here anymore but lots of info you can search with any questions. Again, Congrats and welcome to Allison ownership.

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
Definitely take your time and get plenty of seat time wearing your lifeline vest with kill switch lanyard attached. These boats are a learning process, nothing quick about it. Not a bad idea if you are able to have another person in a separate boat as your wing man for safety while you are learning it. Safety first, always. As stated above, plenty of info and videos here to help you get it balanced properly and on the pad without hooking it and being thrown from the boat. Welcome to the Allison family.

aj06bolt12r

A 2013 225 Mercury? So a 3.0 liter Optimax engine?

How much setback are you running?

What lower unit?

Has the lip on the pad been modified?

Where is your propshaft height in relation to the pad?

What propeller?

What all do you have in the boat with you? Ballast?

pkstv

Supporting Member
Balance the boat level with a level as it sits in the water with your weight in the driver seat with ballast weights on the port rear . I use barbells -3 25lb because I’m fat . Then run it up to 60 playing with the trim getting used to the balance act . From there it’s what seat time does , feel completely comfortable before you stand on it and when you do stand on it be sure you don’t just let off the throttle all at once . Let out of it easy till it’s back off the pad . They are very sensitive at this point and could blow out and spin out so easy does it , be careful and wear your kill switch and life jacket. It takes time but worth it and by far the most addictive ride you’ll ever own !