Fire extinguisher mounting in GS

flying07

Hi all. So living in MN, they insist I have a fire extinguisher in the boat. And to meet laws, it's not small. To be 'accessible' I say means 'just barely visible', so curious peoples thoughts on location? I'd like to go passenger side, up front, but that glass and vinyl is very thin, so not sure how to mount to that. If I pull out the glovebox I can 'sort of' get my hand back there to run nuts and washers however. What are others doing? suggestions? The 'legal' extinguisher up here is about 12 inches tall, yeah, huge, so I'm open to ideas. thanks!!

Jon

Supporting Member
Fortunately in TN we can get away with a tiny one in the glove box.

You can mount it in the bow just ahead of the hump - just in front of the passenger. I have seen stereo amp's mounted there before. I can take a pic if you need.

racerx

Get a small zipper bag and keep it in there along with all the other safety stuff you carry and stick it in the left side area

flying07

Fortunately in TN we can get away with a tiny one in the glove box.

You can mount it in the bow just ahead of the hump - just in front of the passenger. I have seen stereo amp's mounted there before. I can take a pic if you need.
Love to see a pic if you have one handy

flying07

Thoughts on how guys have screwed into the thin side moldings? Self-tapping covered in MarineTex or other ideas?

flying07

Just re-read my law. . . doesn't state it needs to be 'visible' in MN, so hiding it is now an option . . . :)

allimax

It's worth thinking about this. How often have I seen the fire extinguisher mounted back by the engine where a fire would start. Mine is mounted to the right of my seat on the floor, I can grab it with my right hand and still be driving. The one thing that really stuck in my mind back when I was testing for 2 stroke engines is 1 pint of gasoline = 2 sticks of dynamite.

flying07

It's worth thinking about this. How often have I seen the fire extinguisher mounted back by the engine where a fire would start. Mine is mounted to the right of my seat on the floor, I can grab it with my right hand and still be driving. The one thing that really stuck in my mind back when I was testing for 2 stroke engines is 1 pint of gasoline = 2 sticks of dynamite.
Good Point x 2

ziemer

Mine is up front, forward and left of the passenger seat.

flying07

Thanks guys! Ziemer, if I run that location (one I was also thinking), how did you screw the mount in? washer and nut on back, self tapping and maybe coat with marine tex or ? That panel is so thin, i don't want it pulling out

whipper

the front of the gunnels behind the glove box is nice because you can threw bolt and get your hands on the other side. If you unscrew your glove box out you can reach threw the hole and mount a back plate on the front of the gunnel. I would add a thin strip of rubber on the extinguisher side for vibration and shock absorption also if there's no carpet there on yours?

Laying down and reaching threw the hole on the top of the end of the gunnel is a PITA. Pluss youll get scratched with fibers. It only takes a sec to unscrew and pop the glove box out for access. I had mine there before also. Good spot. i just wanted mine out of sight.

Last edited:

flying07

Thanks whipper. . . i think that is where mine is going. . .

FlatOutAlly

I have one in the glove box and one in the port bin. That way I can keep his sharp ugly boat at bay while showing my extinguisher. Another benefit is being able to breathe on him.

ziemer

I'm not exactly sure how mine is attached. It's been there since I bought it and it's still there so I guess it was done right. Haha.

flying07

Mounted it last night, up front like many of you said, cushion behind mount, washers both sides, lock nuts, lock tite, i think she can survive my driving. . . or lack there of. . haha. . . thanks everyone!

flying07

Did you have to take the glove box out?
I twisted my petite 6 foot 3 frame under and around, and thanks to arms and hands longer then they need to be, was able to get behind it leaving the glovebox in place. I had prior pulled the box while working on the stereo, and fully admit pulling it would have been easier. . . but what fun is easy?! haha