Finished with modified gearcases!

catfish123

Well, now that I have a cracked skeg on my 2nd modified Sportmaster within the last several years, I am going the route of stock Sportmaster only. At this point, the handling may be worse, the torque may be more, and the top speed may be less, but I just don't have an endless supply of money to keep dumping on this problem. I have now joined those of you who have always preached that it's not a matter of if it will break but when it will break. I'll let you know the differences I find after I make this change. (XB2003 with 225X)

BigRedAlli

Hey, can I get that PM too :confused:

At this point, the handling may be worse, the torque may be more, and the top speed may be less
Correct on all three points...:sad

I just swaped from a modified 200 case(Best handling case IMO) to a stock sporty and that's exactly how I would describe it. I was wanting to have it modified but not sure which way to go. I've been beat'in up on my 200 case for three years now and thought I would give it a rest and save it for special ocassions, but now I kinda wish I would have just bought me another 200 case for a spare banghead

GotMyAlly

Did this case break at a point where it was welded on?

You can do some tweakin' on the gearcase to make it handle better without welding on it.

catfish123

Driving impressions on the 100% stock sportmaster case:

My combo is XB2003 with 225X, hydraulic steering. I put around 6 hours on the boat the last few days with a stock sportmaster gear case. (I have always run modified ones before. I did not feel any handling differences. There was no increased wheel torque which may be attributable to the hydraulic steering. I have had the boat now for about 8 years and the best, lightly loaded speed it ever hit with the modified case was 95.9 mph. That was a one time speed with the more normal top speed being 93.5- 94 mph. I ran the boat lightly loaded except it did have a full 30 gallons of gas in it, and it ran 92.9 mph in pretty warm, high humidity weather. The boat may have lost 1-2 mph from the stock case although the jury is still out on that. I think with lower temps and humidity, some of that may be recovered. I did not experience anything negative enough for me to have the case modified and possibly have to lay out another $2800.00 from a cracked skeg. I'm sure the hydraulic steering has made this stock case much easier to drive. There may be a slight more resistance in turning the boat left than there had been but the difference is negligible. I'm just glad to have the boat back, and out of the shop. I nearly gagged at the price to fix it but what are you going to do?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Catfish will you please send me the same PM?

(Was your case welded or just modified by grinding?)

Thanks,

Lou

catfish123

Lou.....you have PMS.......private message sent...............LOL