Factory kill switch wiring?

Honda92

My boat had the kill switch removed by one of the previous owners. They put a aftermarket shifter in and also bypassed the start in gear safety switch. How do I go about wiring up a tether/kill switch? There are not any wires hiding behind the shifter. Thanks for any input. This is on a 97 Grandsport

Last edited:

Bobalouie

The kill switch usually just kills the hot wire to the engine. So, you could simply find your hot wire from the ignition switch that leads back to the motor and cut it and put your new kill switch in between. That would give you ignition kill if you come out of the seat and shut the motor down.

F2008

What motor?
Typically you can just ground the black and yellow wire off the key switch. Run a wire (black / yellow) from the black / yellow terminal on the key switch to your kill switch, then run a ground wire (black) from the ground terminal on the tach to the kill switch. Pull the cord to activate the switch which grounds the B/Y wire killing the motor.

Honda92

This is on a 95 225 promax. I did find a black/yellow stripe wire that has been disconnected and capped off... I have not tested it yet but maybe that is what I need to plug into?

BGohr

you need to find the black/yellow and the black, wire the kill switch into them, done.

Honda92

Thanks for all the info, I think I have what I need now!