Excessive Water Pressure and Overheating Pro Max 225x

NorCAlly

Symptoms: Motor running excessive water pressure, 10 psi at idle and up to 44 psi at 5k RPM, overheating occurs when ran over 5k RPM for short length of time. jimmyb suggested I look at the thermostats and poppet valve. I pulled the t-stats and both of them were shaved off by the previous owner to remedy overheating at lower speeds. I replaced with 143 degree t-stats and the engine started over heating really quick. I pulled off the poppet valve and cleared out debris and ran it again with the same results. jimmyb kept me focused on the poppet valve, I stared long and hard until I realized the seat (carrier and grommet) wasn't set all the way into the block, restricting the amount of travel the valve had to open. I pulled the old carrier out and noticed that it was warped and wouldn't seat right. I replaced it, using a high temp two part epoxy for extra holding power and peened it. Now running 2 psi at idle and 17 psi at 5k RPM. Thanks to all the guys at WAR 2006 and special thanks to jimmyb.

chad202

Now you water pressure sounds normal for a promax. Good job Jimmy. High pressure is normally a sign of a blockage and it sounds like you found it.

Texan

Is that the normal pressure for a 260EFI as well? I replaced the impeller and lower unit grease the other day and took it out afterwards. It seemed to take a long time before water started coming out of the tattle tails, but I understand why that is. It just seemed that I had a little higher pressure before.

Thanks,
Bill

badbait

Nor-Cal Ally, glad to here you solved your problems. I for one learned a few things from the problems you had.

If you would like to run with another Allison Owner, let me know and we can meet at the Oroville Afterbay. Easy in and out and real good for testing and learning to drive.

badbait

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Right on George, glad you got to the heart of the problem. The water pressure sounds fine now. Let's go for another ride!

jimmyb

glad to hear it is working properly now! glad i could help.