Electrical trouble shooting

mmalinao

Hey guys, I fished 2 different tournaments the week before last and had an interesting electrical issue that I thought I'd throw out here before fully dissecting it this coming weekend.

Day 1:
No issues all day, weigh in at 3:30 and being that we had a terrible day we decided to go back out.
Fished a few hours and just as it starts to get dark we head back
Motor starts right away no lag, fires right up.
I switch the anchor/running lights on
I notice shortly there after that the graphs go out and the lights on the switches are flickering like it's low on power
Smartcraft gauge was flickering, trying to turn on
I figure we fished all day with 3 graphs, livewell running, etc. that the batter was low.
About 3 minutes into the run the gauges come on, so I'm thinking the big motor was powering everything and I thought confirmed it was the starter battery.
Plug it in over night

Day2:
One green light and one red light on the charger (stealth and whatever came on the 2010 charger, forgot the name) I figure the starter charged and the trollers didn't
Fires right up, all graphs, gauges work fine
About an hour in, my front graph goes out and then I hear the livewell struggling. Again, I'm thinking it's the starter battery.
We fish another 4 hours with out graphs and with a struggling livewell, but every time I went to run the motor started without issue.
Then all of the sudden in the last 2 hours everything is fine. Like nothing had every happened.

This past Sunday I take my son out, everything is fine and the batteries are fully charged.
As soon as we were about to go it happened again, graphs go out, dash gauges go out, but the smartcraft gauge is working fine and of course the motor fired right up.

I'm going to pull the starter and have it tested on Saturday, but I really feel like there's a short somewhere and it's not the battery. The battery is just over a year old, no corrosion on the terminals, and the fact that the motor fired right up is what has me thinking it's not the issue.

Anyone have any trouble shooting advice to speed up my Saturday?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Jr in Jax

While the problem is happening, run a temporary wire from the battery terminals. Using a Fluke type voltmeter measure the voltage drop from each side of the circuit to tell you where the voltage drop is happening. Make sure you check the positive and the negative side of the dash circuit against your reference wire since it could be either that has the problem. You can verify your finding by connecting a jumper from the reference wire past the voltage drop, which will instantly make the problem go away.