El dumasso!!!

RedAllison

:furious

Don'tcha just feel like a IDIOT when ya do something totally preventable yet it all turns out fairly well considerin... :cuss

Goin prefishin inda mornin so I stopped and got the boat out of storage tonight after supper. The building/foundation is level but the ramp up too it is sloped probably falls 2ft over about 40ft, a purty good slope.

The ball on my hitch is a 6k # heavy duty SOB but the base of it forms a big 5 or 6 sided shape (for tightening I reckon?) that sometimes prevents the tab under the back of the coupler from locking down unless the whole rig is on level ground. I usually just hook up the wires, cables and brake breakaway cable and lower the tongue onto the ball and then pull forward until it's all level. Then I can latch the coupler down. I've done it for nearly a year now this way and many times before over the years I've moved boats around with just the tongue laid on the ball without being latched down. Especially with a tandem trailer there's usually enough weight to press it all down tight.

Well tonight I'm easin out of the bay and KAWHAM!!! :gasp The boat ROCKS into my truck. I freak out, jump out and run back to see the trailer tongue is up under my truck (the whole rig is still very much on the slope) and my heart nearly goes into my throat before I realize the trailer stopped before the nose of the boat could crash into my bumper or tailgate on my Avalanche.

Luckily everything stayed PERFECTLY straight and when the trailer came off the ball it ran forward up under the truck and the ball crashed into my trailer winch. You can see from the pic it broke the plastic housing and bent the crap out of the lock mechanism but other than that nothing else was touched. The boat slid forward about 3/4 of an inch but all it did was compress the boweye into the big nylon bowstop.

I tow with a 2" drop that is flipped up to lift the ball about 1 inch. Otherwise it would've nailed the trailer painted winch stand and torn through the diamond plate as well. Probably would've glanced off at that point and THEN the bow would've crashed into the bumper and it would've been a glass repair job more than likely.

I won't say I must be livin right, just chitblind lucky I reckon!!! :help
RA

Attachments

champ198

Wow!! I can only imagine the horror went through your mind when you heard it hit back there!! Thanks for sharing as it might help somebody else one of these days!! Close call!!

Red Allison es un hombre muy afortunado!!

Last edited:

chinewalk

Dang Red! I think I would have to increase my insurance if I hung around you much! We might be related! :LMAO:

RedAllison

Welp after getting the boat off of the trailer at the lake I realized the weight and bulk of the big red barge is MORE than I woulda suspected. She bent the bolt in the bow roller about as much as the hitch bent that bolt in the winch. Now you can say the bowroller pad is "custom formed" to fit the bow of the boat. :embarassed The bracket holding the bowroller on is slightly belled out as well but it's all still centered and trailered fine for two days so I don't think I'll be getting anything fixed other than a new winch. The paint on the welded edges of that bracket is slightly cracked so I'll have to peel those flakes back and touch them up before they start rusting.

NO cracks or problems on the hull tho, shows you how strong the area around the boweye is but I already knew they were tough. I had a boweye break on my XB2003 and the hull was perfect. Wouldn't have thought those stainless bolts would've broke before the glass did but they sure did. Neither the boweye or the hull appears touched on the XB21.

For sure gonna put that ball in my wifes truck and relegate it to deckboat duty. I'll buy something without such a big base on it so I can lock the 21 down 100% BEFORE she gets moved an inch everytime from now on out!!! :wink
RA

Last edited:

Blue Gray in PA

Been there - done that. Several years ago when I got mine out of winter storage, the ball didn't lock down either and when I pulled out of the facility over a slight bump, it jumped up and then came down with the winch on the bumper step cover and the tongue under the bumper - no boat or trailer damage but the plastic step cover on my pickup still has a chunk missing.

The flats on the base of your hitch ball are for those receivers that have amatching recess to allow you to tighten up the ball with only one wrench instead of two - not sure why they felt it was necessary but that's the idea.

The Cashew Kid

Hell I pulled my boat all the way to Forrest City, AR one time with the coupler still unlocked. You know I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock is prolly one of the roughest roads known to man. How it didn't jump off I'll never know. Its balaced well enough that I can unlock the coupler and lift the boat off the ball without the jack so its not too heavy on the tongue. I guess I'm just lucky it didn't jump off. Boy you talk about makin ya heart flutter when I got out noticed I towed all the way over there without the coupler locked down.:gasp

1badss

Banned
Hell I pulled my boat all the way to Forrest City, AR one time with the coupler still unlocked. You know I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock is prolly one of the roughest roads known to man. How it didn't jump off I'll never know. Its balaced well enough that I can unlock the coupler and lift the boat off the ball without the jack so its not too heavy on the tongue. I guess I'm just lucky it didn't jump off. Boy you talk about makin ya heart flutter when I got out noticed I towed all the way over there without the coupler locked down.:gasp
I broke down in Forest City. They have the biggest damn mosquitoes there I have evr seen.

Allyfishing

Hey RA....I just read this post and if ya would have damaged the bow of your boat you could have hauled it to the Allison plant and had the new bow panel put on......:LMAO: Mr. Allison did say that would be the only way for an older boat to get the new bow panel.

Sorry....I couldn't resist:embarassed

RedAllison

I broke down in Forest City. They have the biggest damn mosquitoes there I have evr seen.
The MS delta regions of TN, MS, AR, LA and even south western MO don't have moskeeters. They have blood suckin hummingbirds!!! :surprised

I'm purty sure in the delta regions they are the state bird, :shock:
RA

RedAllison

Hey RA....I just read this post and if ya would have damaged the bow of your boat you could have hauled it to the Allison plant and had the new bow panel put on...... Mr. Allison did say that would be the only way for an older boat to get the new bow panel.

Sorry....I couldn't resist
Darris told me to NEVER wreck my red beauty because he wouldn't patch her big red azz to suit him!!! :cuss :help

In fact I just spent over $400 with Humminbird yesterday gettin everything needed to mount my 997 on the bow of my 21. (Had to start from scratch, all the original hardware/wiring is in my "new" aluminum stump jumper) I'm sure Darris' new design is gonna kick it for sure, but I'm gonna at least have a SI unit on the bow now.

:beer:
RA

Allyfishing

Yeah, I saw the stump jumper ya bought a while back. Nice little boat for sure.

I was just kidding!! That big red boat of yours would be a tuff one to try to get the color right during a repair. That should be a sweet setup with a SI on the bow of your boat. Too bad ya couldn't make it to the rally; was really lookin forward to meeting ya.

The new XB21's are going to be the coolest boats on the water!!

Craig :beer:

1badss

Banned
Yeah, I saw the stump jumper ya bought a while back. Nice little boat for sure.

I was just kidding!! That big red boat of yours would be a tuff one to try to get the color right during a repair. That should be a sweet setup with a SI on the bow of your boat. Too bad ya couldn't make it to the rally; was really lookin forward to meeting ya.

The new XB21's are going to be the coolest boats on the water!!

Craig :beer:
Naw, that would be a Skeeter.