EGT's

John S

Does anybody run an egt setup to monitor temps? I dont hear much on it in outboards, but to me it would be the ideal setup on a motor with an open loop cooling system ( much faster reacting), especially because of the long WOT runs. I've got a few buddies that run em on their sleds and they're great for jetting or just knowin what temp your at asap.

Thanks - John S

GotMyAlly

THe previous owner of my boat ran an EGT meter on his motor (believe he had a 260). They have never been hooked up on my motor though. The sensors are just hanging there in the bilge area. When I had my motor hung (225X) the tech told me I wouldn't need 'em. I don't know how to install 'em, but you can bet I would if I was going to start tweaking on my motor.

GFinch

If your going to get one get digital reacts instantly. Analog is way to slow, the motor will be stuck and the temp will still be rising. I have a RacePacIII, Exaust Gas technologies.
It has a adjustable limit setting for RPM and 3 temp probes, will also play back, Bright red flashing LED.
Saved me .
Had just launched , got on plane, running about 2,500 rpm. Traveled about a 1/4 mile and the LED started flashing. Shut the engine off, came to a stop, water temp was at 160, the limit was set to 130. Started the engine no water pressure or flow from tell tail. Shut it off. Trimed the engine up and a Freto's bag floated up off the water pick up!
Paid for it's self.
Gary

GPI Racing

What your forgeting in the equation is that the motor I gather in this discussion is the 200XS. The EGT reading on this 'clean air' engine is different than the norm. Also the ECU and all it's components are non-adjustable. So aside from a guage to look at it serves no purpose. No matter what the 'reading' you can't change it. And what is the correct temp number supposed to be? ( the opti's run some strange numbers) Just my opinion but I this this one is just like the long set back- short set back comparison...it works both ways. Also the optimax has some great protection curcuits for overheat and no water pressure. The motor will not go over a fast idle if the system 'sees' a problem with either.

Randy

John S

Thanks Randy,

If i'm right, what your saying is don't add a system on top of an engineered system. I guess merc warranties it, so I may as well trust them. I'm through my third tank of gas now, but scared to stand on it. This is a good one. Sunday, I was gonna take the gal out, and maybe take a few good pulls. I get out on the main lake, and the warning horn goes off. I turn around, get my manual, and see it is either low oil or water in the separator. I check both, they're fine, so I go out again,SAME THING! Reset the system, it goes away. This, apparently, is the story of my life. I bought an optixs to get away from pesky problems, but I guess mercs are like hot chicks, THEY'RE ALL SISTERS!!! But I still love em all!

Thanks for the reply - John S

GPI Racing

John,

There is a get together in New Ulm on Saturday. Most of us are meeting at Barefoot Bob's Riverside Garage 61456 Co. Rd 21 New Ulm in the early morning. Then I think the plan is to head out to Clear Lake before noon. There is only one house on the whole lake and NO boat traffic, just us. If you have the time it's a blast.

Randy

John S

Thanks Randy, I'm for sure gonna go. Hopefully be at the shop by 9ish. Are people staying over night?

Thanks again for the heads up - John S

JR

EGTs

Everyone says that getting a digital recall EGT is really important. When you "POP" your powerhead, you can look back and see what temperature it happened at.
EGTs on HP 2strokes are more of a Forensic tool rather than a setup tool.
The piston tops tell the real story about setup...
JR

RB in NM

Gotta agree bigtime with JR...

They are handy, but always a necessity. The main reasom I installed EGT's was to be a useful tuning tool when setting up my Brucato PCU.

But remember, funny things start happening to Aluminum around 1300+ degrees. And EGT probes, depending where they are located at may not have the degree of accuracy you may be depending upon.
If they are reading off a few hundred degrees, you may not think you are borderline meltdown, and could be right there doing it...

RB