EGT Gage readings

Bobalouie

For you guys who run EGTs, what temps should I be seeing for safe running on a 280 with 260 elecs? What is the do not exceed temp?

chad202

The temp reading depends in where the probes are located and how far in they are. Mine are in the bottom two bolt holes of the exhaust divider. Based on plug/piston readings, my motor likes 1190ish. Anything higher than that, I don't go any faster and any lower reading I slow down a little. Of course these are WOT readings.

zatchmo

Mine runs about 1150-1200 with stock 280 electronics, box at 0% 1650 elevation in cool weather. Motor is stock except for a dry-stacked exhaust plate. Probes in the lower bolt holes, no idea how deep.

suicidealli

i have run them in the lower 2 bolt hoes, and in the exhaust plate. they do have to bve in far enough, or you will get a much lower reading!!!!!! anymore than 1190 is a no no, if you just instsalled them.. wot throttle chops are the best way to read plugs! can b dangerous in a A boat slow down to where u have things under control and pull the kill switch. read the pistons is the only true way to read it the egt is just a bench mark. after you have it the pistons looking great, and the plugs, then you have your bench mark. after that any changes you make you know where to let out of it.. just a refference point tool, or a tunning tool. i love mine b/c of the changes i make. in no way will it save you if htere is a sudden problem... think about just 8000 rpm's divide by 60 to convert into seconds = 133 rpms per second your piston is smoked.
they are a great tool tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also temps will go up the bigger prop you run too. your stayin in the rpm range for a longer period of time. less heat when your buzzing up through the rpms. JMO

roy

Bobalouie

Does the port bank on your guys setups run a little cooler than the starboard? It does on mine, by about 100 deg at part throttle, but it is much closer than that at WFO.

Also, mine are in the bottom holes of the divider as well, and it seems like they run in the 1190 range, but I cant really remember. I am just getting to the point where I can actually glance at the gauges when going WFO.

Last edited:

zatchmo

Does the port bank on your guys setups run a little cooler than the starboard? It does on mine, by about 100 deg at part throttle, but it is much closer than that at WFO.

Also, mine are in the bottom holes of the divider as well, and it seems like they run in the 1190 range, but I cant really remember. I am just getting to the point where I can actually glance at the gauges when going WFO.
That is exactly what mine do as well. I have a weak coil, so when that hole drops out it cools way off, but when I'm hitting on all 6 it acts exactly as you describe.

Bobalouie

Ok, I was wrong, my probes are not in the lower two bolt holes of the divider plate, the plate was drilled and tapped at the very bottom. How would this effect my readings?

How would you go about changing the temps if you dont have an adjustable box? Up the fuel pressure? I figured out how to work the recall on my egt, and I showed 1315 on the port bank and 1335 on the starboard, so I am maybe too hot. Also, I dont have a rev limiter, and those temps were likely at around 9000-9200 rpm when making a couple passes last weekend.

SLOmofo

1300 is not necessarily too lean it also could be too rich and reading the flame front down in the collector. There are 2, 1300 degree points of fuel mixture.
The best way is to pull the heads after shutting the engine off at speed and read the piston tops.

chad202

If you know what you egt needs to be and their running high, you can turn the screw every so slightly clockwise to richen it up until your egts come down. Straight up is 100. I did mine all the time without DDT but unless you know what your doing get the ddt. I don't want you messing up your motor on something I did.

Alli-drenaline Rush

1300 is not necessarily too lean it also could be too rich and reading the flame front down in the collector. There are 2, 1300 degree points of fuel mixture.
The best way is to pull the heads after shutting the engine off at speed and read the piston tops.
OK dumb question why not just pull a plug and read the piston condition using a boroscope?

suicidealli

a borescope can show you some good info. better pulling the heads. JMO small price to pay compared to burning pistons. 1300 is pretty hot!!!! more than likely it is reading flames. specially since the probes are in the plate. i run them there on my ss. which box are you running, and what program? what mods are done to the motor? prolly tell you if it is flame or not just from the info. most stock box's are rich. i ran an A-6 set at 102 and turned a drag motor 10,000 rpms with 250 lbs compression.

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
That is exactly what mine do as well. I have a weak coil, so when that hole drops out it cools way off, but when I'm hitting on all 6 it acts exactly as you describe.
my egt was reading even .then the last time i went out .one side was low at part throttle,at wot the readings evened out. how can i check my coils? possibly one is bad? any advice appreciated.

Bobalouie

It is an A-49 ECU with (I believe) an A-48 chip. The only mods to the engine are 260 electrics and an adjustable fuel pressure reg.

Allyfishing

I don't know anything about EGT's but was asked by Tony Brucato if I had one installed when I called him and asked his advice on what compression was safe to go to on my 1996 225 ProMax with his ACU.

the reason I quoted the above is I too have lower head temps on my eninge at idle and low RPM's til I get up to top end runs. the port head temps will run around 138 +/- and the starboard 150ish +/-. I use an IR temp gun to check them. I ran a near WOT run one time and shut the engine down immediately and check the head temps with the IR gun and they are within 10 degrees of each other and below 130.

I always wondered about this??

What are the advantages of an EGT and how are they installed?
Thanks