ECU Problems?

pacman809

I got a problem with my 97 Merc 200 EFI. It starts and run up but has increasingly started to sputter out like it's only running on about 3-4 cylinders. It idles down but idles rough all the way back home. I have checked what I think are all the obvious items- injectors were cleaned by Bucato last year, plugs look OK, plenty of fuel and oil in all the right places, reed valves are new, no obvious vac leaks. I've seen some chatter online about problems almost identical to mine and the problem was a failing ECU. Anyone have an experience like this and how do I know if the ECU is going?
Thanks, Pacman

BGohr

And if the switchbox is dropping a cylinder and it is the switchbox that the ECU is hooked to it will also drop two injectors

suicidealli

On a 97 200 efi, the injectors run on the inside switch box 1,3,5,. Sometimes a switch box can act really stupid, but usually just goes out. Also just because a switch box pass's a test doesn't mean it is working properly. Sounds more like the Ecu, but also could be corroded, or loose ground wires..

pacman809

Thanks to all again. Haven't done a test on the switch boxes yet but all wires look tight and clean. This machine has never been apart and,so far, everything under the hood looks like the day it was made. If I need to replace the switch boxes or he ECU, is this a Mercury dealer part or is there a better source? I suspect this things are not free.

dragmerc

i'll bet it ain't the ecu. merc wires and boots hold up better than rapair. splurge for the race version and turn that baby up.

resqu-u

Did you ever find the problem? If you need an ECU send me a message, I've got one hanging in the attic,