Drowning Victim

reward69

We had a tragic drowning at my home lake recently. A 19 year old drown while swimming with friends jumping off a train trestle. The trestle isnt very high off the water so it wasnt the fall, he just didnt make it back to shore.

Local athorities have been looking since Monday and have been unable to find him. Personally I know this has to be hard on the family not getting closure to this. I called the local fire department and sherriff department to offer my assistance. I have a 998 side imaging and personally fish this section of the lake a lot. I offered to help in locating the poor kid as this has drawn out too long. I know every nook and cranny in this area of the lake and feel pretty confident I could at least help, but I get the (were the professionals) we can handle it. I asked a friend in the FD and he said they only have basic sonar and its not much help.

Anyway hopefully just a friendly reminder the dangers of the water and the tragic events it can lead to. I just hope they find the poor kid soon so the family can have some peace.

whipper

Pertty awefull for sure. Even worse they are to stuck up to need help. Thats sad!! Hear anyone who can help is more than welcome. More help the better!! Same thing happen hear last week. Every boat on the lake was helping all day and it was a pleasure boater that found him. After the dust settles i would talk to the rescue chief and offer your assistance in the future. Maybe volanteer and get the training they take and apply it to your boat. That way when your on the water and somthing like this happens again your there and allowed to help.

K.Kiser

If they want to find something below the surface there is no one more qualified than a serious fisherman, especially with the new electronics... If there is someone more qualified to find something I'd like to hear their feeble example, and I'd bet if they saw what a competent user can do with the new imaging they would have them on all there rigs in quick fashion..

I wish the best for all but they need to tighten up because there is alot more that can be done if what your buddy says is true... The new imaging units are crazy good and can scan lots of water very quicky, and with accuracy that was just a myth not too many years ago..

My heart goes out to the family and friends..

reward69

Well they finally found the kid. They had to call in a recovery team from Charlotte. Guess what, they had a 1198 Humminbirds on there unit. Found him with 2 hours of getting here.

BTW I actually went down to the ramp, which btw is the only access ramp, and offered my assistance. Again got the (WE got it) comment, thanks anyway! They got it all right, 2 and a half days later and after calling in outside help.

Anyway Im glad for the family at least they can have some closure to this.

GotMyAlly

I know every nook and cranny in this area of the lake and feel pretty confident I could at least help, but I get the (were the professionals) we can handle it.
Ask anybody in Tuscaloosa how much help the 'professionals' with FEMA were when they rolled into town after the N. AL tornados a couple years ago.

That's a sad deal, hope they find the body soon to bring the family some closure.

bassracr

I'm glad they found the young man, unfortunately my guess is they were more intersted in who was in the network that would be paid by the hour with taxpayer funds ,than speeding up the process by letting a good hearted volunteer with the proper equipment help out that wouldnt receive the government cheese.

RedAllison

Well they finally found the kid. They had to call in a recovery team from Charlotte. Guess what, they had a 1198 Humminbirds on there unit. Found him with 2 hours of getting here.

BTW I actually went down to the ramp, which btw is the only access ramp, and offered my assistance. Again got the (WE got it) comment, thanks anyway! They got it all right, 2 and a half days later and after calling in outside help.

Anyway Im glad for the family at least they can have some closure to this.
That's my understanding, that most of the "serious" and larger search and rescue water squads/depts in the country are getting SERIOUS with SI technology. Not only just getting the units put on the boats, but actually sending officers to training school held by the mfgrs themselves. I've seen a few screen shots of bodies (both drownings and scuba divers) and in some cases they aren't as easy to identify as you'd think. (Especially when the bodies are suspended and the settings on the unit are set for larger scanning areas.)

Sorry to hear about that for that family, man I simply can't imagine losing a child. I just DONT WANT to imagine that! :very sad

GotMyAlly

Took 'em 3 days to find the body of a drowning victim on pwick a couple weeks ago. From what I could tell, they weren't letting anybody in the search area at all, SI or not. Didn't look like the possum cops were doing anything other than securing the perimeter honestly.