Does anyone know who can make a removable bimini top for my Grandsport?

Jr in Jax

I know that George Larson had a Bimini top built for his XB2003 in WinterHaven. I have been to several local shops in the past and no one would make one for my boat, afraid of liability. I bought a Taylor Anchor Shade but I could not use it while moving and someone stole it and my Garmin Lakevu data card from the boat ramp parking at Dunedin Yacht club. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are several places that sell them online. Silverbullet02 got one from Overtons that fits good and is good up to 50mph or so. He has pics on here somewhere.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member

Jr in Jax

I got my Bimini installed on my Grandsport. I ordered a speed rated 1" tube Sunbrella Bimini from National Covers in California. I then installed a Westwood rail mount kit to allow it to be adjustable. I ran it yesterday at 53+ MPH and top handled it well. The wind does make the front end light at higher speeds. I am very pleased with the results and the top goes up/down in just a couple of minutes.

Jr in Jax

I just got home from Black Creek and it is too dark outside for a picture. I will try and get one tomorrow after church. I had it up to 63 GPS with no trouble from the top. The shade was great under the baking sun.

Jr in Jax

I had a failure of my Throttle foot on the Suwannee Saturday, when cruising about 65 with the Bimini up and inadvertently broke my Bimini main spar by letting my speed jump up to 70 + with a 10 Knot headwind. I bought an internal insert and am going to slide a 7/8" OD SS tube inside the 1" OD aluminum broken main spar to double its strength today. I thought about putting inserts inside the main spar when I was installing it but was just to lazy to be proactive. Except for not allowing for the "stupid factor" the Bimini has worked great.

Jr in Jax

This is the repaired top after sliding a 7/8" SS tube inside the broken main spar and riveting it. I did order a new frame only kit from the Mfg in "Californica" that I will modify with SS inserts inside of its aluminum spars. I would like to have it survive up to 70 GPS MPH which is around where I cruise.

Attachments

G Allen

Nice! I have a bimini on my XTB, it has come in handy this summer. I don't push mine past mid 50's tho. Not as much problem with bow lift on mine, but my ride has a very heavy bow mount motor on front. Love hanging out under it with the tunes going while trolling for freshwater salmon. At my home lakes' altitude the sun is not just a nuisance, it's a real health hazard.