Dodged a bullet (no pun intended)

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Was looking over the race motor on the 2001 today; at the WAR it just wasn't running real consistently. At high rpm's she would stutter sometimes and I feared the worst.

So today I looked real close and found the 5th-from-the-top injector wire plug loose!!! It was almost completely coming off the injector.

I thought, great, I bet since that cylinder lost fuel intermittantly it is scuffed and on its way to being stuck. So I did a compression check and the motor is 180-185 throughout.

This is a 280 block with 260 switchboxes light flywheel SVS and PCU. Kind of a wanna-be drag motor.

Here is a real stupid question, and I think I already know the answer: All the crankcase spaces for each cylinder are completely isolated insofar as fuel delivery and pressure, right? So if that injector wire came off, it would fry number X cylinder for lack of lubrication, right.

Which cylinder is associated with the 5th injector down (2nd from the bottom)?

Thanks for any help. Compression says we are OK but will know more tomorrow running in the exhibition.

GFinch

So if that injector wire came off, it would fry number X cylinder for lack of lubrication, right. (1)

Which cylinder is associated with the 5th injector down (2nd from the bottom)? (2)

Thanks for any help. (3)

(1) You should probably pull the head and have a look see of the bore.
And yes each cyl is isolated from the others. Yes fuel starvation kills that cylinder. It will run longer without oil than with lean fuel mixture.

I had a lower cylinder link come loose, that throttle plate did not open. I pulled my hair out for a couple of week ends swapping parts and blasting up and down the lake until I found it. Even though that cylinder wasn't getting enough fuel/air to run it had enough oil to lube. Carbs.

(2) Highest cyl = #1 Lowest cyl = #6 My guess is #5
(3) Your welcome. Nothing a little Pig Putty can't
fix.

Got 24v yet?

pirogue

Lou you did dodge one there. i reckon there wasn't a hole lot of rpm's getting slung or you probably would have slung half of it out the exhaust. and yes Gary is right it's #5 cyl.

Check the injector harness routing, usually when that injector comes unplugged, the linkage to the SVS is knocking it off. Reroute it between the front half and the shift/throttle bracket. Hope this helps.
Nick.

JR

Lou,
you have probably dodged-the-bullet, the injector was probably not firing the cylinder, rather than running it lean. I would pull the head and check the bore anyway.
JR

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the harness reroute info Nick.

I would pull the head and check the bore anyway.
And if I find it's scuffed then just one more thing to worry about. :help Nah...Go or Blow baby, and we did just that at the delta this weekend. I ran her hard past 8,000 with a 26ET and never a glitch.

JR

Lou,
You sound more like me than your normal cautious self. Is living dangerously bringing out the redneck in you? Pretty soon you'll be wanting to move to Florida...
JR

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Pretty soon you'll be wanting to move to Florida...
JR you don't know how close that is to being clairvoyant, I am looking at a business in Vero Beach!

JR

The area just North of Vero is Sebastian and has some really nice resort type gated communities right in the ICW, which is called Indian River. You can sell your place and buy five in Florida, with much lower taxes.

That is right in Myron B's front yard. That part of the East coast is the only part that isn't high rise condos [yet].

That area is a great place to bring up kids...

Let me know if you come down to visit and I'll meet you with the boat so you can see the waterside of the real estate.

Tell Cathey that Palm Beach [just South] has plenty of nice jewelery stores just waiting for her....and Rush Limbaugh will almost be your neighbor.

I am going back to a new knee surgeon, who is supposed to be a lot more understanding of my need-for-sports so hopefully I'll be ready for Tahoe next Winter.
JR

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Tell Cathey that Palm Beach [just South] has plenty of nice jewelery stores just waiting for her....and Rush Limbaugh will almost be your neighbor.
:big grin:big grin:big grin

Good deal JR, hope you can get ready for Tahoe now that I have mastered the art of going fast falling down and getting hurt. :cool

ziemer

JR you don't know how close that is to being clairvoyant, I am looking at a business in Vero Beach!
Sebastian is pretty nice. We were just there this past weekend in the Pantera. Had a few cocktails at Capt. Hiram's.

About your wiring issue, I had a simialr occurance last September at an FBI race. At about 1000 ft it was like someone cut the key. (had the race won too :banghead) Come to find out the lock ring on the ECU harness had come just loose enough to loose contact and it killed the motor. I didn't find it until the following day. Zip tied it up good and raced on Sunday. :beer:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I had the same thing happen on my 225 one time at the delta. Went around a corner, dead prop. Found the main connector disconnected and separated by about 1/4 inch.