Dash panel installation

fnshrmaster

I ordered a new carbon fiber (looking) dash panel to cover a hole that was cut out for a fish finder data card.

Question, what adhesive to use to attach it, also how do I cut the hole for the dash light? I was thinking rotary tool, maybe razor knife?

F2008

I'd use Weldwood contact cement. The same stuff that's commonly used for carpet replacement, and also used for formica type laminates. Apply it to both surfaces, let it dry and then put them together....carefully, no moving it if you miss.

fnshrmaster

Well after closer inspection of the panel I see it has an adhesive back already. I was once told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. That was my one right there. :)

That still leaves cutting the hole, any suggestions?

Last edited:

F2008

What's the material you have to cut? Hole saw maybe? ...... or cut the hole smaller and then dress it to size carefully with a Dremel sanding drum.

catfish123

I got rid of my flip up dash light when I put in the new dash panel because it would always get flipped up somehow, I wouldn't notice it, and the battery would be drained.

fnshrmaster

I got rid of my flip up dash light when I put in the new dash panel because it would always get flipped up somehow, I wouldn't notice it, and the battery would be drained.
I have kicked that around too, or wiring it in to the accessory switch. To be honest I have never used the light.

catfish123

I never used mine and it became more of a problem than it was worth. Mines been gone quite a while and I haven't missed it at all.............reminds me a bit of my first wife.

LakeAnna

Kurt I always use a little air grinder with the cut off wheel. Works like a charm if your careful. Tape over the area to be cut mark it then rock on.

allimax

I agree that light is old school, Don't miss mine at all. A strip of LED lights run along the top of the console to shine downwards is a better idea and pulls a lot less current. Post some shots when you get done, she's going to look sharp.

fnshrmaster

I agree that light is old school, Don't miss mine at all. A strip of LED lights run along the top of the console to shine downwards is a better idea and pulls a lot less current. Post some shots when you get done, she's going to look sharp.
Will do. Sometimes less is more. I like the LED idea. Best place to get them? I think red would be the best color, the boat is all red with black carpet. Not crazy about the carpet, it looks the best but is a b!tch to keep clean. Here is a shot from last summer, which seems LONG ago...

Last edited: