Damn Shame

MWest77

That we can't or won't put better security measures in place to protect our children in our schools.:furious

jimbob88

They haven't described, as far as I've seen, how he got in. his mother was a teacher there & I'm sure she had a security badge. She was found dead & he could have taken & used it? Pure speculation, but would make sense. Done watching the news till tomorrow. Nothing new will be broken tonite. So sad....

John S

That we can't or won't put better security measures in place to protect our children in our schools.:furious
Hopefully this doesn't come off as me being a prick, but what do you suggest? The son of a staff member in a small town would be the last person you would ever suspect of this. It's a sad problem that the only answer to completely solving would be to insulate and protect everyone to such an extent, we wouldn't even recognize the country or the lives we live anymore. It's a sad deal, and the best thing to do right now is appreciate and enjoy the time you have with the ones you love and care about, because you never know when they will be taken from you.

Ironically, I didn't hear about this until I got home today (no radio at work, ipod in the car), but when I grabbed lunch today, the booth I sat in had a poster that had a list of wisdom nuggets. The last one read, "The ones you love are always taken from you too soon."

fnshrmaster

Hopefully this doesn't come off as me being a prick, but what do you suggest? The son of a staff member in a small town would be the last person you would ever suspect of this. It's a sad problem that the only answer to completely solving would be to insulate and protect everyone to such an extent, we wouldn't even recognize the country or the lives we live anymore. It's a sad deal, and the best thing to do right now is appreciate and enjoy the time you have with the ones you love and care about, because you never know when they will be taken from you.

Ironically, I didn't hear about this until I got home today (no radio at work, ipod in the car), but when I grabbed lunch today, the booth I sat in had a poster that had a list of wisdom nuggets. The last one read, "The ones you love are always taken from you too soon."
It may or may not have helped but carrying a handgun these days is not a bad idea. Michigan is a concealed carry state, it could keep you from being a victim.

MWest77

We pay thousands of prison guards to protect societies rejects yet people keep going into our schools and blowing our kids away. There are tons of veterans coming home to no jobs. I would be more than happy to pay another cent or two in taxes to post some highly trained people in the schools. Maybe dedicate an area of the police departments just for schools and other undefended public buildings. I see no problem with conceal carry teaching staff as long as its not visible to the children. Anything but this heartbreaking news every two weeks.

reward69

The schools in our area have a uniformed officer there at all times. They park their car right in front so their presence is known. These are called resource officers and they run the D.A.R.E. programs at the schools. Personally I feel all schools in this nation should have this, it is a big deterent having them there.
This event really breaks my heart at the innocence that was taken that day, my prayers go out to the family's.

ROBERT CROSS

Prayers sent....a very sad Christmas Season.

Why do these reporters feel it's necessary to interview the parents and children at the scene? The questions are so inane it's mind numbing.:very sad

I remember when I was in school 60+ years ago all entrance doors were locked 15 min after school started. The only entrance with a buzzer was right in front of the admin office's.
They weren't locked from the outside for security.... but it made it impossible to sneak into the building if you were late.
Seems to me that would be an obvious place to start.

Bob

h2oskiier30

I remember when I was in school 60+ years ago all entrance doors were locked 15 min after school started. The only entrance with a buzzer was right in front of the admin office's.
They weren't locked from the outside for security.... but it made it impossible to sneak into the building if you were late.
Seems to me that would be an obvious place to start.

Bob
The school where the shooting occurred had this system installed. Problem is, the shooter SHOT though the glass to enter the building.

I'm not sure what the answer is. If someone like this kook is determined enough to get in, I'm not sure there is anything they can do to stop it.