Curious what to expect

mha

I've only been able to get about 20 minutes behind the wheel so far and that has all been in a near empty boat. I should just be patient and not ask this because I will find out soon enough, but I'm curious what's going to happen when I load up with my tackle, a partner and his tackle to go fishing. I don't carry a ton of stuff, but what I do carry I like to carry up front. My partner brings an average load and is a pretty good size boy. He also likes to wander around a fair amount going from side to side. I've done all my running with a 27 Allison cut Trophy. I'm curious to learn if I can use that prop fishing. I put on a DAH 25 Trophy for a quick lap the other day thinking that would be my fishing prop. Empty I was over 7K in a hurry. I'm expecting a load to make more of a difference than I am used to, but curious just how much difference to expect. 2003/225PMax

JR

I would not carry a big load an A-boat up front if at all possible. You might just find out what a Bat-trun is if you have to chop the power. If the bow takes a dive at speed it will try to bow-steer and you could easily pivot around the bow [bat-turn].
I try to keep as much weight towards the rear as possible....
JR

Darth VMAX

Its amazing how much room there is between the two rear storage compartments AND when you pull the rear bench (or 2 seats in a XB02). It really opens up.
MHA if your partner is that 7 ft 300 lbr you better keep that 25' prop and get a good pair of sea legs...LOL

fishnfireman

I would guess I carried more than most up front..Try to keep it to a minimum but the Trophy will carry the nose plenty good...
With the load you described --unless your at sea level I figure the 27 will be marginal at best..
I have a 26 that Tim put the alley cut to----and your welcome to try it.
Unless your above 1500 ft it should work good...much higher and the 25 should be the ticket..
A 300 lb partner will sure get you attention if he likes to wonder from side to side. Dang sure might get you wet if your going to the front deck about the time he does a shift....

I really liked the RE4 when running my 2003/225 with a load..I used a 26 for elevation and a 28 for lower..

jimmyb

ditto what the others have said...

also, caution your partner about the trip to the front deck... it is easy to slip off, especially when fishing in the rain... my partner took a cold april swim last year

when you run full tackle, livewell, gas, and partner, you will notice it! however, when you run light, it will definately bring a smile to your face! that is probably the thing i am going to miss the most about my allison...

froggy

One of our XB2003 buddies added a grab handle for getting on/off the front deck. He found a black handle that matches the one in front of the passenger and attached it to the side of the front console "bubble". Nice solution for those rainy and/or windy days.

I am thinking about fabricating a stainless steel, tubing, grab handle that runs above the windshield all the way from side to side. I have to ask Darris about any negative, wind tunnel, affect it may cause before fabricating though.

froggy

fishnfireman

Froggy,

Keep us posted---I have been thinking of the same thing. My old Gambler had a SS grab rail that was just below the windshield rim....Sure makes it easy for an old feller to get out of the seat.

chad202

I carry all my stuff up front with no problem. I've run 95+ with two aboard, tackle for two, 20+ gals of fuel and water in the livewell. I find my boat carries a load great. This is with a 25 trophy.

RedAllison

Pops I think where you carry the weight depends 1st on where you are going to carry your partner. If it's raining or 40 degrees and you want him upfront beside you yet still want to run over 85 then put as much as possible in the rear (lol if your partner is that Andre the Giant dude you posted a pic of then FORGET running 85 with him up front, you'll never get there. The nose of the boat will be plowing water!). I've found that with a stock 27" trophy (14.5" hydro setback, JCs Sportmaster, 225SS) about the most partner I can lift in the front seat is about 180-200ish and still keep over 100#s of tackle under the nose. But I can feel it, takes alot of trim and the boat feels like its about to "let go" at speeds over low 80s when loaded like such so I don't push it. If we have to make time or my partner wants to see what over 85 is like then I put their seat in the back.

Another thing I noticed was just this past weekend at Pickwick with gusts over 25mph straight down the lake, I kept my partner in the backseat and my 50+ pound bag of plastics in the starboard rear hatch. The boat never once tried to stick a wave, even in sloppy crap that it normally SHOULD HAVE! I firmly believe that if I had moved more tackle up front or moved my partner up front then we would've stuck some waves that day. And I didn't even have a good rough water prop, I had my Ron Hill ET (reworked by Todd @ Hydromotive) and it doesn't usually like to keep a load on pad very slowly but it did with the weight more even distributed along the boats centerline instead of mostly up front!

If you are below 2500 ft I'd think that 27" Alli Trophy should be the bomb!!! The Aboats are just more critical about loading and balance than anything you've had before. If you'll put the weight were it belongs, it'll do some pretty amazing things.

Load it like you would an airplane, that's why Darris builds them like he does. To much weight rearward or forward will cause problems, spread it out evenly and properly and then all you gotta do is STAND ON IT SON!!! :beer:
RA

scott mann

Mark,
Load her balanced and biased towards the rear; she'll be fine. Gonna' take a little "seat time" with the Ally, they're a little different than those big ole bullets. If you load her too heavy in front, you'll tend to over trim her...she no likey...Send me your address and I'll send ya' the additional stickers and more stuff...
Be careful...
Scott Mann
scootertrash@suddenlink.net

mha

She'll be empty for one more week! My fishing partner is out of pocket so this week will be running the river trying to catch Carl's Bullet and learning how to drive. Knowing Carl it'll be more like me trying to catch my Ally driving his Bullet because he'll probably take her away from me.:laughing

Have to wait another week to try out a fishing load. Darn the bad luck!:big grin

BruceMerc

Chad

When you ran 95+ with 25 pitch trophy, was your passenger up front with you or in the back?

Bruce