Cover for Grandsport?

mxzx

Has anyone ever bought a boat cover for their Allison off of EBay? There are some on there that say semi custom fit for a GSE for $150. The cover on my GSE is on its last legs and not too crazy about spending $800+ on one from Allison.

ScottB

If you need a basic cover for protection while in storage or sitting at home, then the cost-effective route is fine. However, these covers do not fit very well and you will not be trailering with it anytime soon. My guess is they you will have a lot of added material above the rub rail, as our boats are very low profile.

mxzx

I need a mooring cover for all season, my boat stays in the water from May until Sept. I have always trailered without a cover.

hirk

Brent cdn tire has a 19' cover that fit tight on my xb but was a touch short leaving the swim steps exposed that might be good for mooring, the next size up was 21' which I got for the driveway but hangs down the sides past the trailer frame so too big for in the water.

hirk

The 19' I mentioned is at the gibb st. store in Oshawa. I returned it there to get the bigger size and like I said it fit great other then the swim steps.

whipper

I need a mooring cover for all season, my boat stays in the water from May until Sept. I have always trailered without a cover.
i have the Allison one but never trailer with it on either. You risk chafing even with the Allison one at high speeds trailering. For a long trip i would rather just hose the crap out of the inside and out when i get to were im going. its amazing how unaffected the inside is even on long trips.Great if you use it just to keep the dust out or don't have a garage to store her.

flying07

i have the Allison one but never trailer with it on either. You risk chafing even with the Allison one at high speeds trailering. For a long trip i would rather just hose the crap out of the inside and out when i get to were im going. its amazing how unaffected the inside is even on long trips.Great if you use it just to keep the dust out or don't have a garage to store her.
I too love mine clean, but not worth chaffing it so it goes down the road naked. I hear the Allison covers are great and well worth the money, especially when you consider what you are protecting if you are mooring the boat out and don't want sun damage.

ROBERT CROSS

We towed all the way back from Ark. with the older Factory cover with no chafing problems..maybe just lucky, or the Burb just moved enough air. :wink

Don't have a garage to store in during the Season so had a 'full' cover made locally.

Bob,

Attachments

smiley88

Walmart has one that is for a 21ft.vhull that fits my allison nice. It is $119 and it pulls over my hull and motor and had the nice little buckles that attach to the trailer to keep it snug. Like stated above I wouldn't trailer with it but it is a definite investment to protect my grandsport .walmart even sales a decent engine cover for $20 also wich was cool but the boat cover pulls from front to back over engine and all. .I like it...

whipper

When i bought my GS she came from South Carolina south east North America and with a cover on and engine cover made it North Western North America around 5000 miles with one small chaff the size of a quarter that could be rubbed out and that was it. ;) she went threw snow storms in the mid west and freezing temps in the far North to get hear all in the open. Flat bed from SC to Washington then pulled behind a jeep for another 1000 miles to my garage. No big deal. :confused:

ROBERT CROSS

The Allison factory cover is well worth the money if you can afford it ! Especially when towing on interstate in a rainstorm . Mine is seven years old and still looks great ! That's getting your money's worth !
My experience also.....Ark to WNY, no marks no problems, 11yrs old, only thing, had to replace the straps.

Jr in Jax

I am on my 4th factory cover due to the thread rotting, but mine has been sitting on my patio since 1998 and have been pulled thousands of mile with the cover on it.

ROBERT CROSS

I am on my 4th factory cover due to the thread rotting, but mine has been sitting on my patio since 1998 and have been pulled thousands of mile with the cover on it.
Ah yes Sun rot, UV's a killer for sure....our Allison cover is on all Season long 'cuz we don't store indoors at home, but it's under the 'garage' cover I had made locally.

Bob