cooling question

whipper

I have a single out pisser.I also have a smaller orifice at the end of the pisser by way of fitting. Is a straight hose out with no fitting cooler than with fitting? Im thinking the fitting gives the water a little extra hang time but does that just heat up the cooling water more than a straight out the hose without fitting or no difference?

Last edited:

whipper

Wouldn't think cooling would be a problem up there.
The lakes can get into the 80,s and air well into the 100,s in summer. The little lake down the road is shallow. the lakes in July and Aug down south were I boat min for Woods lake is 70 and seen 84f lots. The Okanogan valley is very hot all the time 5 hrs south of me. 110+ F isnt uncommon. Desert and cactis land with lots of big lakes. Perfection.:beer:

Just wondering weather to run the hose without a fitting on the end thats all.

Scott in MN

I was always of the opinion that the belief of water moving thru a block faster pulls less heat is a myth unless cavitation exists.....I don't want to read thru my Thermodynamics book to find the exact chapter but I am quite sure that heat moves more rapidly when a greater difference in temp exists between the two materials...more water moving thru a block will result in lower temp water and thus greater transfer efficiency....

chad202

You just never know. There's a sweet spot of just the right amount water traveling thru the block to affectively dissipate heat and have the motor operate in the correct range.

Scott in MN

You just never know. There's a sweet spot of just the right amount water traveling thru the block to affectively dissipate heat and have the motor operate in the correct range.
Makes sense to me....just letting him know if he opens the pissers up it will run cooler.....

SLOmofo

I have a single out pisser.I also have a smaller orifice at the end of the pisser by way of fitting. Is a straight hose out with no fitting cooler than with fitting? Im thinking the fitting gives the water a little extra hang time but does that just heat up the cooling water more than a straight out the hose without fitting or no difference?
It must be my strange mind, as I started to read this. Please substitute "My engine' for "I". <;-)

Water can flow fast enough so there isn't enough time to transfer the heat from the metal to the water. Or metal to air. Take a thermostat out of the cooling system of a car. Over time the engine will run hot and over heat. The thermostat is a restriction.
Higher pressure forces the water to have higher/better contact with the wall. If there is a hot spot in the block the water can boil there. Water boils 2 degrees higher for each pound of pressure in the system.
One thing also is any time a passage is necked down there is possibility of debris restricting/plugging the flow. A chunk flows through and gets trapped. I fished and the engine's pisser would get chunks of stuff caught in the fitting that screwed into the block. I found a small cone shaped screen and glued it to the fitting, problem solved.

whipper

Hmmm ok thanks its making more sense for {my Engine} to have the right amount of flow for the conditions and use. Therefore its going to take a little on the water same day experimentation to determine what's the right way for my engine. Ill try as is next time out and monitor the temps with the fitting {restrictor} in place. Then Ill cut the restrictor off and just run the open hose for the same type of use and see what way seems to dissipate the heat from the engine best.. thanks for the great explanations guys.:beer:

The motors not heating up or anything I was just noticing a lot of guys running an open hose and I started thinking about it. I should say at just on plain if I stay at 20mph for instance {witch doesn't happen often} :] the motor will get hotter than normal. A quick rip up to speed and down they come with more flow and less drag. Water sports is an issue though with heating up so I don't do that anymore. This all started more or less when I went with the 33cc heads and raised limiter and alternate fuel curve. Maybe thats telling me with those mods I need a little more flow?

Last edited:

SLOmofo

James, is it broken? Doesn't sound like it.
I like one of the stickers I have in {my shop}.

"If it jams, force. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway!" another. "{My shop, My rules}!

For the water sports you could just add a smidge more fuel in the area of use...... Smidge is a testicle term.

whipper

Thanks guys. Ill let ya know what happens when I run it with and without. I can always put the end back on if it doesnt work out.:big grin

allimax

Whipper, it's a tell-tale, it's there to let you know you got flow and on a PM it sure isn't much. That video of the dry stacked JSRE 260 was real cool I admit but a different cooling design than what we have. I admit I found some "Y's" the proper size, bought another outlet nipple and made mine piss out both for the cool factor. It made no difference in the cooling and it shouldn't, the stats get their heat to open from the engine side. Does it look cool, got me, just kinda dribbles out at an idle. Maybe ask Catfish or Matt from the other weekend running but I doubt they even noticed. If anyone wants a "Y" to do the same, PM me, I had to buy a pack of 10 so I've got plenty left over. Hey Whipper, that is one really, really nice boat!

2003225X

Whipper, it's a tell-tale, it's there to let you know you got flow and on a PM it sure isn't much. That video of the dry stacked JSRE 260 was real cool I admit but a different cooling design than what we have. I admit I found some "Y's" the proper size, bought another outlet nipple and made mine piss out both for the cool factor. It made no difference in the cooling and it shouldn't, the stats get their heat to open from the engine side. Does it look cool, got me, just kinda dribbles out at an idle. Maybe ask Catfish or Matt from the other weekend running but I doubt they even noticed. If anyone wants a "Y" to do the same, PM me, I had to buy a pack of 10 so I've got plenty left over. Hey Whipper, that is one really, really nice boat!
I did notice water coming from both exit holes on your promax which is not normal. Looked like most 260/280/drags.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I noticed it too. Since the can is out I figured there must have been other mods.

allimax

Wow Guys, where's Catfish, it a reunion!
I saw that and had to take that shot, those horns are so bad *ss!

whipper

Thanks Alli thats the answer I was looking for. ill save a cut and reinstall on the pisser fitting. {ie Telltail} :big grin I always just called it a pisser but yea its called the tell tail. i wasnt sure if the smaller orifice restricted the flow or not passed the T-Stat. But I guess your right the Stats lets buy such a small amount and a smaller outlet isn't going to change the flow rate at all. just maybe makes it easier to see than a more open outlets dribble.