Cool tool or neat toy?

JR

I have always wanted a COLOR borescope, but was not willing to spend thousands for one. While at WW Grainger recently, I spotted a neat tool called a SEESNAKE by Ridge Tool Company. It is a Handheld Color Monitor attached to a 3' flexible snake ending with a tiny color camera/LED lighting. I was comtemplating spending the $250 when I spotted them at Home Depot for $199.
I could not resist the temptation. It is a pretty neat tool/toy.
There are attachments that fit on the end of the probe/camera for grabbing wires, a mirror to see the valves in a cylinder and a optional magnet for picking up what you dropped and can't see.
JR

RedAllison

Dang JR dat duz sound neatern tater chips. I reckon it would be classified as a "toy" until you found some internals finta cause problems. Then I think it quickly goes to the "tool" category and stays there.

Sumpin else to put on my wish list, :beer:
RA

GFinch

SEESNAKE by Ridge Tool Company.

How clear a picture is it. I've been wanting a GOOD one for years.

JR

SEESNAKE by Ridge Tool Company.

How clear a picture is it. I've been wanting a GOOD one for years.
The image is clear enough for you to read a book or label, which I think is pretty good. The imager+lighting runs about 4 hours on 4 AA batteries.
JR

atgill

My Wife bought me one for Christmas, work good, just ordered two 3' ext for it...ext are 50.00 for 3'.

JR

My Wife bought me one for Christmas, work good, just ordered two 3' ext for it...ext are 50.00 for 3'.
A Wife that buy you neat toys like that is a real "Keeper".

Mine did good for Christmas too, with an Hour of Aerobatic Flight instruction.
JR

JR

It says it has a lifetime warranty since it is a RIGID tool. I have not tried it in a plug hole but it looks like it was made to fit through a 13/16 large plug hole. It also has a 45 degree mirror attachment for reversing the view to look at the head/valves inside the cylinder.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

I bought one 2 days ago. The end is listed as 17mm so it won't fit thru a 1/2" spark plug hole. Picture quality is O.K.. It's going back, as I will buy one and don't need two. At $200 if it did fit thru a plug hole I'd keep it.