CMC Jackplate question

champ198

I have a CMC powerlift jackplate. Last week, it started making these awful sounds like there was a lot of friction in the up/down motion. I got the manual out and says to make sure the large nylatron washers are slightly loose, not too tight, not too loose. I slightly loosend the top bolts. This took care of the noise. Now, the jackplate seems to catch on one side if going up/down.

What should I do? thanks!

Allyfishing

Duane, I experienced a similar issue with my CMC years ago on my Astro so I called CMC. I was told those nylatron washers were set at the factory and should never need to be tightened or loosened under normal usage. I was told to just lubricate them once in a while with WD-40 and NO GREASE!! I had that JP on that boat for 15 years and never put a wrench on those nuts. And I am a stickler for preventive maintenance.

I read the same thing about being able to rotate them slightly to test them and in some positions they move freely and sometimes they don't. Just move the JP up or down a bit and they will move freely again and the others will be a bit tighter.

If I were you I would still call them anyway and get their advice. That was just my experience.
Craig :beer:

catchmybomb

Duane, a few years back they changed the bushings to a little larger ones check if yours have the newer ones in there. They are the rollers.

Eric