CMC Jackplate, Power Dial or gauge setup

Blue Gray in PA

I am thinking about buying a new CMC JP and the Power Dial caught my eye. I've talked to Chris at CMC and he said they are slow sellers and I'm wondering if anyone here has one? Bill at Allison suggested using a Stainless Marine mechanical guage for the jackplate height since they seem to be more accurate than the round gauges which is what drives the Power Dial. Anyone care to share what they use or give me their thoughts to help with this decision?

Blue Gray in PA

Since several people viewed this but no one replied, does this mean none of you use a Power Dial? Does anyone use a Stainless Marine unit or anything else that works better? I'm open to any suggestions just so long as I don't have to keep looking back to see the a mark on the JP frame at 80+. Thanks!

Myron

I don,t use either one but I have mark on my jackplate where even is the 1/2" measurements each way, works good and its cheap

LAAllison

Blue Gray. There are a couple of pieces in the owners stuff about manual trim indicators but I don't remember anything about an electric indicator. I know on my Land & Sea plate the electric gauge was not reliable. Beautiful Sunday here in L A mid 70s and very little wind. Neeed to get The Alison on the water.
Also if you do a serch on the site for trim indicators there are several threads.

Art

Roll Tide

Last edited:

Blue Gray in PA

Thanks - I guess I should have looked there first. I see that Stainless Marine seems to be the unit of choice and I know the electrical units are not very accurate. I guess I'll see what information SM sends me tomorrow when they get my emailed request for info. Now all I have to do is find room to add the display unit in my already filled dash - one problem at a time I guess.

Scott, I use the Sm for engine trim on the Skater and a electric gauge type for the jack plate. While the electric isn't that accurate it does get you in the "ball park" and then adjust by "the feel" while flying. BTW, started cleaning out the garage to make room for hangin' the 280...

Blue Gray in PA

That sounds good. I will be getting the Ally out of storage the first few days of April since I will be out of town 3/24 through 3/30. Would you prefer I bring my portable shop crane over to facilitate the swap? That might make it easier than moving the Skater over enough to clear the side of another boat? It's easy enough to transport and I've used it for a lot of swaps - both automotive and even one outboard lift for the JP insertion.

ronpro

I have one of these devices, but have no idea how it works. Every knob I turn does nothing. Seems to be a placebo of sorts. Looks cool though!