Classes of XB02 drivers

Alli-drenaline Rush

Congrats to Your Kids, and You..! That will be awesome to know things are looking up for your kids along with having more leisure for you -- in theory... Good all around..
Thanks, Kevin! Leisure in the best sort of way..... #1 son and his bride made me a grandpa in October!!!!! spoil 'em and then hand 'em back.....

Of course, not before inculcating them regarding the "need for speed!!!"

suicidealli

i havent hooked an allison either, but for some odd reason they decide they want to turn really quick and head in the direction they just came from... must be some kind of bulit in fishfinder deal!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!! like said earlier drive them on the edge looking for every last mph, you are going to hook one.. i just cant help myself!!!! i tried giving up top end runs, after some guys i know were killed making top end runs... i always seem to go back to it.i wear all my safety gear, but i just have to push it to the edge.... that is why i have an allison!!!! i really enjoy racing too!!!!!!!!!!!! 600' drag is a rush that is hard to beat!!!!!!!!!! the fact is the outboard racing is to far south for me.... nothing better than getting out of the drag, and your legs are shakin from the rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have raced cars, but nothing compares to an allison... every time down the track is a little different. it is something that doesnt get old... i have had race cars get old after so many runs, you get use to it. an allison drag requires 100% of your attention til you land it!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!!! JMO

roy

Last edited:

Scott in MN

nothing better than getting out of the drag, and your legs are shakin from rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have raced cars, but nothing compares to an allison... every time down the track is a little different. it is something that doesnt get old... i have had race cars get old after so many runs, you get use to it. an allison drag requires 100% of your attention til you land it!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!!! JMO

roy
That is right on the nuts.......

Alli-drenaline Rush

i havent hooked an allison either, but for some odd reason they decide they want to turn really quick and head in the direction they just came from... must be some kind of bulit in fishfinder deal!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!! like said earlier drive them on the edge looking for every last mph, you are going to hook one.. i just cant help myself!!!! i tried giving up top end runs, after some guys i know were killed making top end runs... i always seem to goback to it.i wear all my safety gear, but i just have push it to the edge.... that is why i have an allison!!!! i really enjoy of racing too!!!!!!!!!!!! 600' drag is a rush that is hard to beat!!!!!!!!!! the fact is the outboard racing is to far south for me.... nothing better than getting out of the drag, and your legs are shakin from rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roy
Great comments all.... Roy how heavy is your drag? (if you are interested in divulging that info!)

suicidealli

The guys I know who were killed were Not driving ally's!!!!!!!!!

I feel a lot safer in the drag boat than any other ally.
Anyone driving an 02 110 or better can drive an xr 120. Jmo
Sorry got off the topic of an 02. Lol

Roy

Last edited:

hc speed

The guys I know who were killed were Not driving ally's!!!!!!!!!

I feel a lot safer in the drag boat than any other ally.
Anyone driving an 02 110 or better can drive an xr 120. Jmo
Sorry got off the topic of an 02. Lol

Roy
i ve hooked 01, 02 & 03 a couple times ,the 03 was definatly the most violent and yes all 6 times was driver setup error and the 01 was faster but more controlled

Tim Bostic

The ONLY time I hooked an XB02 was with a customer's 1988 model. He called & said he couldn't drive the boat without it turning left @ 86 mph???? I told him to bring the boat down & I would teach him how to drive!!!! hehe!!! When he showed up, he had a really jacked-up homemade nosecone & I told him that was his problem. He firmly disagreed! We went to the lake & if he hadn't told me about the left turn thing, I would've been swimming!!!! At 85mph, the boat got loose real quick & a slight push on the throttle & it was all I could do to hold on to the steering wheel!!!! We went back to the shop, and stuck my lower unit on his boat..... didn't change anything else...... I took it out & ran 101 mph..... He didn't believe me so he went out & ran right at 100 mph..... shipped his lower unit to Bob's that same day.

I've never come close to turning my boat around & I've seen big numbers with it.

I think the biggest problem is setup...... set the motor on a 9", 10" or 12" jackplate...... jack it to the moon...... and wait for it to let go so you can go swimming.

I ran an Allison 4" jackplate for years & I'm sticking a 3" on it this year...... We'll see what it's capable of doing with a GREAT setup???????

(I guess it helps that I have a little experience behing the wheel.... hehehe)

suicidealli

i have hooked every ally i have owned. all from driving past the limits, except one. the motor was to high. there was a bbc jet boat making some noise at the ramp. so i had a hyd jacklate, so i ran it all the way up to make some noise. well when i took off it wasnt long i made a left turn 90*. then back right 180*. so if your are making left turns you motor is to high!!!!lol all the other bat turns have been to the right, usually hitting the trim button one time more than i should have to get one more mph... :-(

the ss was the worse one, and the drag being the easiest... dont get me wrong the drag is a harder turn, but you stay in the seat. the side are so tall it is pretty safe. the open bass boats are what people come out of!!! i know a few that has came out of 02's...
over all they are one of the easiest allys to drive tho.JMO

roy

suicidealli

i need to learn how not to push it to the edge... if more guys i run with would run 600' it would be better.. all these top end guys!!!! go on a cruise they want to run over a 100...
the river run in jasper i almost hooked it with brenda in the boat!!!!!!!! we hit some rough water about 108 mph, and i had it trimmed out.... she said if was going to drive like that she was taking a taxi back to the hotel.... lol she was holding on so tight she bruised the palms of her hands!!!!!!!!! maybe she will post something.. running with some of my florida buds... we all hit the waves flying, and we all got our butts chewed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roy

Alli-drenaline Rush

i need to learn how not to push it to the edge... if more guys i run with would run 600' it would be better.. all these top end guys!!!! go on a cruise they want to run over a 100...
the river run in jasper i almost hooked it with brenda in the boat!!!!!!!! we hit some rough water about 108 mph, and i had it trimmed out.... she said if was going to drive like that she was taking a taxi back to the hotel.... lol she was holding on so tight she bruised the palms of her hands!!!!!!!!! maybe she will post something.. running with some of my florida buds... we all hit the waves flying, and we all got our butts chewed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roy

LOL....

Drive it like u stole it, right?

john4utvols

Myron you're my new Hero, after driving Allisons that long and pushing them that hard and never have a bat-turn you must be very lucky or very good at set-up and driving one.

Like Roy said pushing them to there limit and then trying to get that extra 1-2 mph out of them will bite you in the a--. or skeg breaking at 105 will get you wet and almost kill you, hydraulic steering coming loose on one side will cause a seperated collar bone, and droping the trottle at 98 will cause the other collar bone to seperate, all of these will cause a bat turn.

But I love driving Allison's and if the set-up is right with the right equipment, you can drive them in the 100's all day long with no bat turns. Drove my old SS for 20 miles running 100-104 non-stop and the boat never tried to turn on me, but had the same boat with same everything for two years and it turned on me several times running that speed and had no clue why. But I feel like the 02 is a much more forgiving boat than the SS and I feel very confident in it over 100. I only turned one 02 and that was because the skeg broke off.

Myron

I consider myself lucky to have learned from Glenn Reynolds about setup on Allisons, and also what to feel in the seat of your pants, all that being said I really don't do any all out top end runs anymore, I have lost a few friends in fast boats none from an Allison, but any time you push it anything can happen. Many years ago Glenn was the boat driver for some underwater filming of a gearcase at lake X, he also made it blow out on purpose. I got to see some of the film and it was way cool, they could freeze frame by frame and you could see the bubbles and where the air pockets were.

badbait

When a boat has been designed with a lot of lift and the pad is tuned to run very effiently on low HP I don't think you can double the HP without making some changes to the bottom. A .090 lip probably one of the things that makes the Allison the most efficient bass boat on the market with 150 HP. The lip frees up the back of the boat but holds the bow down. So to get around that you need to run around 14 inches of setback to get the bow up. 14" is a ways back there and it's like putting a cheater bar on a wrench. That tail can now wag the dog. This is not a problem with 150 HP. When you double that HP and start approching triple digits that lip starts to become evil. Seven years ago I bought a SS2000 Comp from Glenn Reynolds and put a 280 short shaft on it and loved the way the boat handled after bringing in the setback to 5" because it had to much lift. I liked it so much that I told Glenn during a phone call how well the boat handled. He said thanks I had to work that bottom because the guy I sold it to new put a 300 drag on the boat and turned it around a couple of times. After hanging up the phone and went out and got under the boat to try and figure out what he did. Well the only thing I could figure out was that he had taken the lip down to .055 That explained why I had to come in so far with the motor to get the right bow lift for my weight. Armed with this information I called a friend of mine that had a SS2000 Ex-cel/200XS and told him that I thought I could help make his boat easier to drive and give it a much better hole shot. He brought his boat up a couple of days before the WAR Rally. I brought his motor in to 5" off the transom and took some of the lip off. The boat had never done more than 92 mph before the changes and I couldn't wait to give it a try the first morning of the Rally. I raised the motor to an inch above the pad and put on my 32 Hoss and went out and ran a GPS of 98.8. I would be the first to admit that I'm not an expert on Allisons I'm just giving you my experience with these two boats. To date I have made these types of changes to five different Allisons. 2-SS2000s and 3-2003s only 2 of the boats were mine. If one of the best in the business is doing this to help keep a boat with big HP from turning around maybe it's somthing others should consider having him do for them. I also know that if you take a little to much lip off of your pad you will make a slug out of your boat.

Last edited:

catfish123

Lip sanding has always been a very controversial subject but it worked well for me. It is pretty amazing that the removal of such a VERY small amount of material can so drastically change the boats running characteristics.