Chowchilla IHBA

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Where is Chowchilla, CA?? Well, imagine the planet Tatooine except with a stage 4 smog alert from all the fires..and a reservoir for racing...Then you'll have it.

What a GREAT time we had with Kevin & Stacy Kraft, Kenny Shaw, Kim Sullivan, and all the other "Moliminators" that showed up in the 100+degree heat.

I'm still WAAY in the learning curve. On qualifying day, I went from 5th out of 13 to 10th out of 13, not because I got worse--in fact I got better each pass except for two redlights--but everyone else got so much better than me.

Race day was another learning experience. I got to run Kevin in eliminations. I ran a 10.04 @ 112.58mph in the 10-second class against Kevin's 10.25, but he took the win owing to a faster reaction time (0.475 was my pathetic time and Kev did 0.2something). I thus learned, in IHBA rules you add the R/T + the E/T to determine the winner. I had previously thought only the E/T mattered as long as you didn't redlight. BZZZT! Wrong. Ultimately it's whoever doesn't redlight AND makes it across the line first, no matter the E/T. Kevin's margin of victory was 0.060 seconds when you added in the r/t's.

I had a REAL hard time with consistency in the R/T. At Red Bluff I could leave on a 7 every time and cut it just about OK but when I'd leave on a 7 at Chowchilla I'd redlight EVERY time. And leaving on a 6...well, TERRIBLE r/t's so I had to like figure "leave at 6.5" which is easier said than done.

On the flipside I had a MUCH easier time with "the rope" having learned the skill at Red Bluff.

OK, so here was one sweet justice....BEAT the car motor guy who eliminated me at Red Bluff in a qualifying heat. That was cool..:cool

Also, during "second chance" run I REALLY screwed up by leaving the trim up when I mashed the pedal...the boat stood straight up VERTICAL and it was said you could see the skid plate, I'll bet it's not long before a pic of that makes it onto the net somewhere. My family said the whole crowd gasped and thought I was going over. Well, at least I could provide some kind of a show.

Last edited:

Fl Boy in ILL

You are doing GREAT, everytime you go to the ROPE you learn something. Each place will be just a little different running at the light, some days 7 will be perfect and other it'll suck. How are you trimming the Allison? Manual or trim timer? As a LONG time V-Pad driver I switched to a Mod Tunnel to get more consistant, I don't even have a trim pump in my boat!!! Loosing to Kevin is nothing to hang your head about he is very tough!!!! I hope you are having fun cause really thats what its all about we'll never make any $$$ doing this but it is a blast.

Rick Conklin
T/E #0494

GFinch

Cool Lou. Does the circiut you race go to Ming lake? I think Bakersfield.
Always wanted to see your bottom:smile

Wayne Taylor told me a story when he raced an Allison, Daris told him it was the first time he had seen both sides of one of his boats in one run.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Rick.

Gary the next race is in Lowell, OR close to Eugene July 13-14 I think, don't know if I can make that one.

Fl Boy in ILL

Lou

In an Ally I think thats the only way to get consistant, and in Bracket racing thets EVERYTHING!!!!! Sure wish you guys could make the trip to Malvern, Ar for "Smokin in the Cove", best race I ever been to. 1000' $$$$$ race, only takes top 16 in each class, you'd run 8's in 1000

Rick

stoker

Thanks for the kind words Lou,it has been real fun with you and Family at the races
The yellow beast is really looking good now with the ten Os at Chow especially considering you are still running 26cc heads!!!!

Will come by the shop this week sometime with those cases of diet pepsi
thanks buddy

FLYING BUTCHER

Hey Lou think I told ya so?? This rope racin isn't all that easy BUT what a rush never ending work after 6 months of testing tuning and reriggin got mine to run an 11:04 and a 11:05 but still washed the sides of her on a couple runs. She leaves so much different than the 03 that I am still trying to fine the RIGHT number to leave on??? Have fun be safe ole friend

stoker

Hey Lou think I told ya so?? This rope racin isn't all that easy BUT what a rush never ending work after 6 months of testing tuning and reriggin got mine to run an 11:04 and a 11:05 but still washed the sides of her on a couple runs. She leaves so much different than the 03 that I am still trying to fine the RIGHT number to leave on??? Have fun be safe ole friend
Congrats to you Bill,stepping up to Stock/Eliminator!!!!
Give them Big blocks hell at Marble Falls
wish i could make it,just cant afford the fuel this year:(

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Good luck BUTCH, give 'em what for!!!

Kevin, did Baretta win Oregon?

Look forward to seeing ya!

stoker

Barretta redlit in the first round
Prigmore got beat in the second round
you could say the Columbia dragboaters schooled the IHBA boys in the M/E class that weekend:(