CHECKING ENGINE HEIGHT

Larry D

when checking engine height, do you use the center of the nose cone or the prop shaft. the reason i ask this is cause some of the gear cases have the nosecone up, down or centered. I have checked 4 gear cases from different installers and they have their on reasons for doing this. later Larry D :?:

Bob Ant

To the best of my knowledge and the way I always do it I measure to the center of the prop shaft. On my 225 Marineer the nose it about 1/4 inch higher than center of prop shaft.

froggy

We always use the center of the prop shaft as the point of reference.

Of the three Sportsmasters we have checked, none of the propshaft centers were at the point of the nosecone. We chuck the propshaft in a machinist's lathe and then run the tailstock over to the nose and mark where the propshaft center would be, at the front of the case. The Sportsmasters varied, but all of the points were a little higher than the propshaft center. Our conclusion, for those of you with Sportsmasters, that have used the point as an assumed center of propshaft, is that you will be running a little lower than you think.

froggy