Careful using paypal....

GotMyAlly

I always thought using paypal provided a relative amount of protection for both the buyer and the seller.

I sold a prop to a guy on S&F. He paid using paypal and asked me to expedite the shipment so he could have it to run that weekend. He signed for the shipment on Thursday. The following Wednesday, he dropped it in the mail back to me - demanding his money back. It had obviously been ran and looked to me like it had impacted something. It was a sharp prop, so it wouldn't take much to dull a blade or two. Obviously hadn't hit a rock or anything immovable, but maybe a sandbar, etc.

When I refused to refund his money, he told me he was going to dispute the charges on his AmEx. No problem, I thought. I didn't take payment from AmEx. I was paid via PayPal. But to my surprise, I got a letter from PayPal stating that he had disputed the charges with his credit card company and the funds in my PayPal were being placed on hold until resolved. The note went on to say that PayPal would help me put together a rebuttal to the dispute, but ultimately the decision to pay or not would be made by the credit card company. And of course, in most cases, the credit card company is going to side with their customer. If you've ever filed a dispute with AmEx, you know they almost always side with the cardholder. So now I'm stuck with a damaged prop and most likely won't get paid for it (dispute is still pending). And the 'buyer' got a free test run out of my prop.

Moral of the story - I won't take paypal from someone I don't know again. Probably won't do business with paypal anyway after this episode. The dispute is still pending, but I've got a bad gut feeling about how it's going to end up. PayPal does NOT offer the level of protection to the seller that most people think. When you read the fine print, even once that money is still in your account, it's subject to be pulled back if whatever form of payment the buyer used does not clear.

Allyfishing

Man that sucks Neal!!! I never thought it about it like that before but I always pay for something with my credit card thru paypal rather than my checking account (which is the default payment method). And yes, I suppose if I was to dispute a transaction it would be with my CC company regardless whether or not I bought it thru paypal.

when i sell something, I just tell the buyer (if I don't know them) to send me a bank check and I'll send the stuff when I get the check. There's still a certain degree of trust needed for that scenario also.

wc911

I think suicideally was done the same way on a lower unit. He took a big lick and it happend like a month or 2 after he sold it to the guy. People like that suck!!!!!

aeneas

I think suicideally was done the same way on a lower unit. He took a big lick and it happend like a month or 2 after he sold it to the guy. People like that suck!!!!!
People like that ruin things for people like me who find PayPal very useful.

I found a pair of half doors for my Jeep Wrangler on eBay and the seller didn't want PayPal, only cash. I made all sorts of arrangements for packaging, shipping and sent $550 cash to California in a recommended letter and the seller just said he never got the money. I got no doors, no money - just a bad taste in the mouth...

I hope people will take PayPal when I buy things. I bought a propeller from suicideally via PayPal and I think that worked ok. I got a very nice propeller at a very good price!

Dave Hensley

If you sell/buy on the Internet sooner or later a wheel will run off. The Net shrinks the world until something goes wrong then it sucks. Face to Face sales, and settling of any issues, still works much better.

GotMyAlly

Got notification from PayPal this morning that the credit card company decided in favor of their customer (big shocker there), so PayPal was debiting my account for the original amount PLUS a $20 chargeback fee. Their reasoning was "This chargeback type was not covered under Seller Protection". Apparently their "seller protection" is really pretty worthless....it only covers you if the buyer does not receive the shipment (isn't that what shipping insurance is for?).

I think the biggest drawback to PayPal is the seller is blind to the source of payment. As a seller, you can't tell if the buyer is paying with AmEx, Visa, bank acct xfer, or funds sitting in their paypal acct from a previous transaction.

Now the one good thing I've got going for me is that I had already cashed out the funds in my paypal acct before this whole thing started, so I had a zero balance when all this started. Now I've got a -$545 balance in my PayPal acct. The email I got this morning asked me to log in and add money to bring the balance up to even. Fat chance of that happening....one more reason to discontinue my use of PayPal......

Dave Hensley

Got notification from PayPal this morning that the credit card company decided in favor of their customer (big shocker there), so PayPal was debiting my account for the original amount PLUS a $20 chargeback fee. Their reasoning was "This chargeback type was not covered under Seller Protection". Apparently their "seller protection" is really pretty worthless....it only covers you if the buyer does not receive the shipment (isn't that what shipping insurance is for?).

I think the biggest drawback to PayPal is the seller is blind to the source of payment. As a seller, you can't tell if the buyer is paying with AmEx, Visa, bank acct xfer, or funds sitting in their paypal acct from a previous transaction.

Now the one good thing I've got going for me is that I had already cashed out the funds in my paypal acct before this whole thing started, so I had a zero balance when all this started. Now I've got a -$545 balance in my PayPal acct. The email I got this morning asked me to log in and add money to bring the balance up to even. Fat chance of that happening....one more reason to discontinue my use of PayPal......
Neal if you had the buyer make the payment as a gift, which I do to avoid the PayPal fee to me, would that have avoided this situation?

GotMyAlly

Maybe. That is covered under different terms under the paypal agreement, but I'm not sure if that would make any difference to the credit card company.

h2oskiier30

You haven't "won". Paypal has your banking/credit card information. They'll get their money out of you one way or the other.

dragmerc

i use paypal for buying but not selling and i won't give them my bank account number. how long do they hold your money? could you take the money out and not leave any in the bank account?

aeneas

Who is the buyer? Can't you confront him? Perhaps he should be outed..? He has not done right by you and the risk is that he will do this to other people as well.

Regarding your account at PayPal, I am afraid they will get the money...

GotMyAlly

Who is the buyer? Can't you confront him? Perhaps he should be outed..? He has not done right by you and the risk is that he will do this to other people as well.
He goes by 1122 on S&F. I've swapped a bunch of PMs with him on S&F. He's a hot-head and arguing with him is like talking to a brick wall.

Regarding your account at PayPal, I am afraid they will get the money...
I'm sure they will, but I'll make it as big of a pain in the azz for them as humanly possible.

F2008

.......Now the one good thing I've got going for me is that I had already cashed out the funds in my paypal acct before this whole thing started, so I had a zero balance when all this started. Now I've got a -$545 balance in my PayPal acct. The email I got this morning asked me to log in and add money to bring the balance up to even. Fat chance of that happening....one more reason to discontinue my use of PayPal......
Perhaps now PayPal will appeal the AmEx decision and try a little harder. Just doesn't sound right that all a buyer has to do is send the item back and dispute the charge and they win.

If your PayPal account is backed up with a credit card I'd "un-attach" that card ASAP as an additional "incentive".

Neal if you had the buyer make the payment as a gift, which I do to avoid the PayPal fee to me, would that have avoided this situation?
If a buyer uses PayPal "gift" as payment for a purchase they have no recourse whatsoever as far as any buyer protection. Which is why most buyers, if they're smart, won't pay that way.

If I'm not mistaken, paying for goods or services using the "gift" method is against the PayPal policy you agree to when you open an account. Just charge the buyer the 3

SmallJaw

I'm with Catfish on his thoughts. I doubt you will get out of that screw job without Paypal sucking that money out of you one way or the other. I'd suggest reading up a lot more just to know what recourse they have. It would surprise me if they don't have a written policy on this circumstance.

whipper

I stopped useing Paypal because it takes so long to get your money out of the account. i just received payment threw western union on some stuff. I thought it would be worth trying. it was great I gota say! I was in town anyway took a pic of the pm with the tracking number. Walked in gave them the number and some ID and cash in hand. i will use them more often. they have been around for decades and service was excellent. It was nice getting the cash right away instead of the BS trying to get paypal to get it to me.

ally2dextreme

I've used pay pal to the tune of a little over $250000 in the last 4 years so they have made a ton off me.Just accidentally sent a customer the wrong box which contained 2 items when he only paid for one.Contacted him for three days and he finally sent an email back stating he only ordered 1 and I sent two so it was my mistake so he didn't have to pay.He said he was inconvenienced ,what a dick.Made a dispute with pay pal,you guessed it they couldn't do anything. The bad thing is I had a guy dispute that he received a $5000 blower within 2 days of the 6 month deadline ,even tho I provided a signature and pay pal took it out of my account because the buyers cc company pulled the funds....