Broken Cook Marine jack plate

JR

Jack Barsh called to tell me that my Cook Marine hydraulic jack plate was split/seperated where it bolts to the transom. It could not be seen before since I had boxed it with aluminum and filled with flotation.

I need a contract with Cook and Mercury to test their products......
JR

RedAllison

Gosh JR I wonder if it cracked between intentional bat turn 187-188 or 221-222???

:big grin
RA

JR

I am going to look into a 10" setback Stainless steel instead of the 5 1/2" aluminum [plus two four inch plates]. Maybe it will hold up better.
I might be able to live with just 10" plus 2.5" built in to the short midsection.
I have never liked all of the bolted stacked plates.
JR

Myron

JR is your jackplate bolted to the transon and then your setback plate ?

JR

Myron,
I just got back from Jack's and found out it was not the Jack Plate [bolted to the engine] but was actually the 4" Allison offset plate [1 of 2] that was bolted to the transom.
Inadvertantly, I had caused the problem by drilling a #8-32 hole into the top edge of both sides of the plate to mount an appearence cover to hold my flotation in place. The motor torque and outward pull at the top of the plate was tearing the aluminum at the top right of the plate where the hole was bored. There was an inch long tear with an 1/8" seperation.
I guess we need to be careful boring holes in these plate to mount covers/skid plates.
I am going to just remove the broken plate and move the engine forward 4" and rebolt it.
JR

Last edited:

Myron

I am pretty sure he is running 14 1/2

JR

Now I am 4.5" shorter, so I am at 10" [total]. It will be interesting to see how different it handles when my knee replacement heals.
JR

ziemer

Now I am 4.5" shorter, so I am at 10" [total]. It will be interesting to see how different it handles when my knee replacement heals.
JR
It'll be fine. :beer::beer:

I've never been more than 9 1/2". Even with the 200 that was originally on the boat. I'm at 8 1/2" now with the 15" mid. :wink

JR

It'll be fine. :beer::beer:

I've never been more than 9 1/2". Even with the 200 that was originally on the boat. I'm at 8 1/2" now with the 15" mid. :wink
Thanks, Jeff, I am looking forward to Summer.
JR

whipper

Now I am 4.5" shorter, so I am at 10" [total]
JR
JR did they install a more compact knee cap? I never knew ya had to reduce the set back when ya get shorter!
Mines at 12 thanks for the info. It would be interesting to feel the differance less setback makes.

JR

JR did they install a more compact knee cap?
They actually cut the big femoral [thigh] muscle to allow them to move over/ flip over the knee cap while it is still attached to the Patellular tendon. While it is flipped over they remove the entire back [usually rough] surface, bore three holes into the new surface and glue on a new plastic glide surface. The plastic glide surface glides over the new Titanium knee joint.
I actually watched a real entire proceedure [video] on-line before I had mine done.
JR