Broke my Lower Unit last night need advice :0

dubmoney

I was running about 70mph yesterday, and feel a slight hiccup, then another about 10 seconds later, then motor shut down and I coast to a stop. At first I thought I lost an ear off the prop, or maybe a maybe a rod. I checked her out, turned the flywheel by hand. All felt ok, so I turned the key and she started runs fine, but won't go in forward or reverse. I have never taken a lower unit apart, is it something I can handle or is it best left to some one who is a proven pro. Its a torque master, with bob's, and I think Titus did a little magic to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

nort

Try contacting Mike Nass.
He's in your 'hood and has contacts for all that kind of stuff through his racing endevours.
If you can't track him down let me know and I'll send you his contact info.

dubmoney

Try contacting Mike Nass.
He's in your 'hood and has contacts for all that kind of stuff through his racing endevours.
If you can't track him down let me know and I'll send you his contact info.
Thanks Nort! That is a good idea!

Jon

Supporting Member
Yeah, loads of specialty tools to set one up. The manual shows how to do it, but just the tool investment makes it not worth it unless you're making money at it.

JWolff

Let us know what you come up with so us left coasters know where to go and what we will have to go through to get performance work done.

dubmoney

I ended up sending my lower unit to titus Grisham of custom marine and welding. If you Google Titus lower units it will come up. I think he may have been the one that built it in the first place. I had a couple deals going on sport masters but they didn't happen, and the more I researched the more I feel like the consensus is that a coned torque master is a little faster than a sporty. I also get the impression that Titus really knows what he is doing and the price is really fair. I will post pictures when I get it back. I believe one or more of the seals failed and when I drained the fliud pure water and shavings came out. I am pretty sure the gears just eat them selves up with no lubrication other than water.