Bow control panel...

h2oskiier30

Anyone ordered a replacement control panel insert for the bow (XB03) from Allison? If so, how much do they run?

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

Alright...got mine in day before yesterday. $32 for a piece of molded plastic that I had to make a template and cut the insert out myself. :mad:

Anywho...what is used to adhere these into the bow? My old one had 4 screws, but I'm thinking that's not right...maybe Liquid Nails or something?

F2008

Here's my solution for my xb02. The factory panel was warped, cracked in half and not strong enough to hold the TM receptacle. So I used the old one for a template to cut some 3/8" plastic from a local surplus store. Much stronger now. Screwed to the hull and the screws covered with those decorative caps.

Attachments

h2oskiier30

Man, that looks great, F2008. NEXT time (which there will be because the new one's just as flimsy as the old one) I might do something like that. Be a little more work, due to there being more plugs/switches, but I got nothing but time.

Texan

Man, that looks great, F2008. NEXT time (which there will be because the new one's just as flimsy as the old one) I might do something like that. Be a little more work, due to there being more plugs/switches, but I got nothing but time.
When you decide to make one, go ahead and make two. I'd like to switch mine out to something that's a bit more sturdy.

FlatOutAlly

Next time you're fixin to bash the Allison way, call me and I'll tell why ya ain't thinkin straight. Or better yet, call Bill or Nancy and they'll tell ya where yall are wrong too, but they'll be a lot nicer about it...

Texan

Next time you're fixin to bash the Allison way, call me and I'll tell why ya ain't thinkin straight. Or better yet, call Bill or Nancy and they'll tell ya where yall are wrong too, but they'll be a lot nicer about it...
I wouldn't call it a bash. I would like to hear why you think it was. You can PM me if you like. The front control panel on mine seems flimsy but I would like to hear why I'm not thinking the 'Allison way.'

Email me if you like at wmp@cableone.net

Bill

h2oskiier30

Sorry, Bill. I wasn't referring to you. Comment was directed at the water skier guy. :wink
Sorry. I love my Ally, but I'm not a sheep, and I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. The part IS FLIMSY, and for $32 (plus $11 shipping...$43 total), it should probably come pre-cut, or at least with a pattern to use to cut it.

Loving my Ally doesn't mean I give up any right to moan, groan, my mom, criticize or gripe. You're more than welcome to give up that right, but I won't.

You're more than welcome to tell me why I'm not thinking right here in front of everyone, though.

FlatOutAlly

SO you're saying that the part you got from Bill is made from lesser quality/thickness material than the original one??? My gripe is you take your gripe public rather than a simple phone call to Knoxville. I'm sure Bill could have made this right.....

In any case, I think you should use the 4 screws. If you want to make it neat, so the plastic buttons like F2008 did.

Last edited:

xb2003

Hey Paul...Make me one too. Or we can get together and make a few for whoever needs them.

FlatOutAlly, I didn't think he was bashing the Allison dash panel but stating that he was disapointed in what he got for his money. I would have to agree. He stated it was flimsy and would break again. Bill (Texan) stated it was flimsy too.

Why would Bill, Darris or Nancy be alot nicer than you? Let me ask you this and I want your opinion..what is the Allsion way?

Why is it when somebody has a gripe it's all supposed to be hush hush and never to mentioned on the board? This is what the boards are for...entertainment and education. I want to learn about the bad along with the good. I don't like the "shut up and pay it" because it's Allison mentality. I love my boat and think Allison makes the best boats out there. I will stand behind, support, and recommend their boats.

h2oskiier30

SO you're saying that the part you got from Bill is made from lesser quality/thickness material than the original one???
No...I'm saying that the part I got from Bill is made of the same "lack of" quality/thickness as the original (?) one.

This one will break, too. No doubt about it. It already flexes badly when I plug/unplug my trolling motor.

Thanks for the words, Stanton.

The original post wasn't meant to be a bash FlatOutAlly, but if it came off that way, I don't apologize for it. I calls them like I sees them. I think the carpet kit for Allisons are a great value...well made and probably a pretty good deal price-wise. These insert pieces are crap, however...and way overpriced for what you get.

xb2003

F2008,
I really like your idea on the panel... It looks good. I have some carbon fiber pieces left that might be big enough to cover the hole.

FlatOutAlly

These insert pieces are crap, however...and way overpriced for what you get.
Well have a little class and take it off line with Bill and/or Nancy and/or Darris. You'll get better results and hopefully we'll all benefit from it. You're starting to sound a lot like Pinkie, out trolling for buddies while tramping on those that matter. I'm done with this. I wish you well in your crisis. :rolling eyes

Last edited:

xb2003

These insert pieces are crap, however...and way overpriced for what you get.
Okay...Now he bashed the Allison dash panel.lol But really... I think that is a fair warning if you want to replace the panel. I'm glad I read this and it saved me and maybe some others the same aggravation. After seeing F2008's picture... I know what route I'm going.
We can bash EagleOne for crappy cowlings, Trophy props for cracking, boatmate trailers for rusting, unsafe seat brackets, crappy fuel sending units and Bob's for cracking nose cones but not buying a overpriced piece of plastic.lol Makes sense to me dude.lol

Okay then..pm me on the Allison way bro. He never attacked Bill, Nancy, or Darris. I'm not attacking you either. As far as having class... I have kept my mouth shut on a few things that displeased me after ordering from Allison. I learned my lesson and will look elsewhere and shop around unless I have to order specifically Allison. Why bring Pinkie into this?

GFinch

Why bring Pinkie into this?

Cuz:
He's everyone's whipping boy.
Cabin fever.
When panties bunch, gets a vision.
Just a fine opportunity.
Seemed like the right thing to do.
Ect...Ect...

Life is shorter each day we live it.

FastXD

Stanton I can make you one out of Carbon fiber for about $5 and $4.95 priority shipping and guarantee it not to be flimsy. I had the same problem with mine. What gets me is the front bow panel is $32 and the dash panel is the same price. Something don't add up here because the dash panel is 24" X 6" and the front bow part is 3" X 8" and they are the same price. I guess that is why I got a carbon fiber dash now. I think I went threough this same deal with the windshield, you know the $100 piece of lexan that should cost $40 max but I guess somebody has to pay for Darris's patents.

FlatOutAlly

Why bring Pinkie into this?

Cuz:
He's everyone's whipping boy.
Cabin fever.
When panties bunch, gets a vision.
Just a fine opportunity.
Seemed like the right thing to do.
Ect...Ect...

Life is shorter each day we live it.
Absolute cluelessness, at it's finest.

It's more about integrity and handling your issues like a man, rather than looking for support from the internet....

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with cabin fever or panties or whatever your Cailfornians want to refer to it this week.

baitcaster

I also replaced mine and was very disappointed. It is way overpriced for what it is. The plastic is way to thin and yes you have to cut out the insert yourself :rolling eyes. If you do get one, do yourself a favor and fill the rim with silicone and let it dry before you put screws into it. Mine cracked immediately on the first screw. I quickly removed it, filled it in and the other three sides did not crack, and yes this insert will have to be replaced again in the future. It is a poor/cheaply manufactured part and I would hope Allison would consider improving this part in the future

Note: Personally, I love my Alli, but all manufactures, regardless of what they build, have some poor parts in their product. I have noted a few in my Alli, just as I have in my Hummer. As a whole, I love them both, but the latter does not make me blind to some of the crappy parts or areas that need improvement. This part, though small, hurts the fit and finish of the product and if you have something that is poorly crafted, that you know will break, than - at the very least sell them for a couple of bucks and apologise to your customers for having to continually replace them...........Better yet, correct the deficiency!