Boat Floating

chad202

Took the boat out today for some playing just to get more familiar with it. This is the second time it does this: At high speeds, the bow seems to float up and down. When I trim down, it locks in but speed falls a little. With it floating, it still ran right at 92mph but don't feel safe with it floating. The prop is a modified 28 chopper which has the front of the blades cut up the hub a little. The rest of the prop seems to be stock. It doesn't hardly any cup in the tip area. Could this be a prop issue or setup issue? I'm at nuetral trim when it's floating and just under to get it to lock in.

brotherxb03

I think it may be the prop. My 98,03 is more stable and easier to drive with my 25 tempest @ 82 then my stock 28 chopper @ 85. And with my modified 28 chopper before I got up on a stump and cracked it was stable @ 4800 @ 65,once I got to 75@5100 It got hard to drive. The last time I used it just sliding up my 35 lb tackle bag to where the passenger seat goes would stable it out. I don't know if all 03's are like this ,but mine is.I run a 14" setback with hydrallic plate,hydralic steering,200,2.5 carb.

froggy

Chad,

If you want to run fast (real fast), you'll have to live with some "controlled floating". Mine takes a much better set now that I have a Titus modified sportmaster, but it still floats a little above 100. It is locked in, like glue, to about 97, then I have to get it "loose" to go above 100. I'm working on setback, props, etc. to eliminate the float, but right now the float is acceptable.

froggy

xb2003

Mine floats around alittle as well...One bump down eliminates but like Chad said my speed falls off. I really don't even notice it anymore....My partner does :D :D :D

catfish123

I agree with Skydog..............more than likely, the prop is borderline too high and it is beginning to lose it's ability to carry the bow. The fact that when you lower the trim slightly the problem goes away indicates it is a motor height issue.

ALLISONMAN

THAT IS WHEN YA GOT THE BOAT ROLLING DOWN THE RIVER!!!! that floating feeleing is the pad coming off the water and back on again and it has the hull freed up and running!!! ya ought to feel that effect at 105 pretty exciting or damn right scary if ya not prepared for it!!!!

TomGT

FLOATING

i had the same issue with my boat xb2003 225 promax worked with randy from gpi found it was the gearcase trying to submarine as he put it raisedd the case about an 1/8 and now its steady as a rock.

chad202

Thanks guys. Trying an 30 ET monday. have ya'll run these higher or lower than choppers.

froggy

Chad,

We run a 30 pitch, ET, on setup exactly like you have at 1/8" under the pad. It runs quite well and stable. We are running a nose coned, 200 gearcase though.

froggy