Blow out

whipper

Is there warning before a blow out, like the bow comes down a bit first with enough time to correct. Im trying to squeeze a few more mph and feel that if I trim just a bit more and hold her longer I will get it. Im running 88 GPS ,RPM ? GSE 225 PM-11.5 setback,Ally jack,30 Allycut chopper,Bobs cone,2000 ft above sea level. I what to get 90 GPS but am paranoid to trim any more unless there is a warning before blow out then Ill know im maxed out. I am running even with pad. James

scott mann

blow-out

I have not had any experience yet (thankfully) with blow out. There are plenty of guys on the board that have. But I would get a Stainless Marine manual trim gauge so you will know exactly if and when you begin approaching positive trim. I would not push her much past neutral trim.
Just my 2 cents,
Scott

vcrash

whipper, you will love that gauge, you always know where your at. we have free health care so hit that trim botton and get that 2 mph.

Casey G

on mine the bow will start to drop and it will start rolling to the right. at that point i've got two choices. more trim or let off slowly.

chad202

I've blown out three times so far in my rig. Once was me setting it up and just raised the motor to high. This other was me running 99+ and came into some ruff water and chopped the throttle to fast. :lol: The other was motor just died while running 95mph. Before it actually came around, I knew it was going to happen so I was able to keep it to just a hard 90deg turn and not a 180 or 360.

froggy

Whipper,

This works for me---so far at least!

I set my engine height, for the prop I'm running, then go out on the water, and run up to say 45-60 mph and trim the engine until the boat "propwalks" (transom tries to come right). I do this several times to ascertain the trim angle that "propwalk" occurs. I note the trim angle on my trim gauge. Now, when I wring her out, I will not, ever, get as high as the trim that "propwalk" occurred. So far no problems and I test props for a well known prop maker, so I am wringing it out a bunch.

froggy

whipper

propwalk

Thanxs froggy Ill try that next time out. Today there was 20 mph wind gust to 40 so it was to hard to flyer past 84 without the bow pushing me around. I have a trim guage for hight but not for tilt. I will try this method though sounds good. James

David Shook

Whipper,
Don't worry about it man, it's over so quick you don't have time to be scared, just kick it in the ass and head on down the pond!!!!!!
Shook

J

John Richied

David Shook said:
Whipper,
Don't worry about it man, it's over so quick you don't have time to be scared, just kick it in the ass and head on down the pond!!!!!!
Shook
:p :p :p

Words from “The World Record Unlimited Bassboat Speed Record Holder” have been spoken… :wink:

Shook, when the XB-02’s lean down to the right (starboard side) a tad at speed and your W.O.T. should you trim down a tad, lower the propshaft height, or add weight to the portside?

Casey G

john i have no time in a XB-02, but i do have quite a bit in both XR-01 and 02's and if the boats rolling to the right under acceleration the last thing in the world i would do is trim down without letting of the gas. that's just asking to get wet. lowering the motor a tad might help as will a tad more trim. a lot of times if it's real bad and starting to get out of control it's better to slow down and start the pass over

J

John Richied

I hear ya and since I am under full acceleration when it happens I let off the throttle a tad and at the same time bump the trim down a touch.

Then I can get right back on the throttle and trim up and run into the same scenario.

I’m pretty light and a center steer. I think I just need a little more set up for the bigger numbers.

whipper

shook

David I hooked her a couple of times comming off the throtle triming to fast my first couple of weeks practicing with her. Last run to the launch and some folks there watching, slowing down hooked at around 60 or so real fast right and thought she was going to turn over able to crank her starboad and made it look like I was playing around!!! I _issed my pants but the guys at the launch said she sure turn nice eh!!??..Yep. I just what to learn some proper technices so I dont piss her off and get bucked. But not if , when see does Ill do that {kick her in the ass and head on down the pond}! I cant imagine what its like at 85+ spinnen out,and if I could head down the pond after. James

David Shook

John,
How are you doing my friend? I'ts been awhile. always great to hear from you, and how is the new GPI engine doing?
I raise my motor in eight inch increments to the point it won't pick up water, then ease it down until it does, at this point very little trim is needed which makes the boat run level, as far as the side to side balance I use 5lb ankle weights in the front of the left hand rod box to the point the boat is level at the 120 mark, and that will vary with different props.
If you lower the motor too much or drop the trim you of course know it will slow your rig down, and Lord knows we don't that Ha!
I have blown out at nearly 121 or that is what the recall on the gps said, these boats are very forgiving, and it just hooked and set down, if you don't get thrown from the seat you should be O. K.
I'm leaving for the lake' so if ya'll repost I'll get back to you Sunday night.
Shook

ALLISONMAN

JOHN SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IS ASKING FOR A LITTLE MORE TRIM. IF IT TAKES A LEAN TO THE LEFT YOU HAVE A LITTLE TOO MUCH TRIM. THAT IS AS LONG AS YOU BOAT HAS THE RIGHT BALANCE

ziemer

Whipper, when you're runing for top end speeds, a couple of things to look for when trimming up. Does the boat react to any additional trim? If the bow rises a little, along with rpms and speed that's a good thing.

If you start to bump the trim and rpms increase, but the bow doesn't raise and speed stays the same or decrease that's a bad thing.

One thing I've found, when I'm coming off a high speed run, I first let off the gas and stay away from the down button. Doing both at the same time, as you've found, is not a good thing. :wink:

With the 225, you should easily hit 90, and probably be around 95, with a light load and some more setup/seat time. Don't worry, after driving that boat awhile, you'll know what the boats looking for and speed will come.

GotMyAlly

ALLISONMAN said:
JOHN SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IS ASKING FOR A LITTLE MORE TRIM. IF IT TAKES A LEAN TO THE LEFT YOU HAVE A LITTLE TOO MUCH TRIM. THAT IS AS LONG AS YOU BOAT HAS THE RIGHT BALANCE

My boat does exactly the opposite. Of course, I am not running in the triple digits, so results may vary. But in the low 90s, if my left (port) side is low, more trim levels it out. When I overtrim, my right (starboard) side dips.

Jimxb02

I agree with the above post. It could be the way I'm balanced, but on my XB02 if I lean to the left I have to trim up and if I lean to the right I have to trim down.

Jim

J

John Richied

You guys are correct even at high speed, when the boat bow leans down to the left (portside) it wants up trim and when the right side (starboard) of the bow leans down you are over trimmed or out of power, prop, gearcase is too high, etc. Allison man is just trying to kill me or mixed up his left from right… :wink:

Shook I’m doing great! My GPI is back in Minnesota for a rebuild, we set it to too mean and lean. I’ll try some of the 5lb weights when I am up and running again, thanks. Take care friend and if they come after you, they better have something more then a Bullet… LOL

Forkin' Crazy

Interesting thread, guys. :D

I was running my XB02, I had just jacked the motor up one click (it got me over 90), and I was going around a bend in the river that I usually ran flat out.... a left hander.... I might have been running a bit too much trim.... and the nose dropped it started to roll out of the turn. I eased off the throttle and trimmed donw and it settled out. This was a blow out? Right? It got my full attention!!! :shock: