Best rod and reel for the money

jimmyb

what are you looking for? spinning baitcasting? what type of fish?

GotMyAlly

Shimano reels. The new citicas are about the same as the old curados. I still have a rod box full of the old green curados. If I had to replace them, i'd go with citicas.

My favorite rod out right now is the Carrot Stick.

RedAllison

Dem Bugs Bunny stix of Neals IS purty sharp and ultra light! They also colored after the bestus college football team "Knoxville urnch"!!! :beer:

The last 4 rods I've bought were St. Croix Avid SCIIIs. For the money (usually around $125-$175) IMHO they are hard to beat, plus they are completely American made and backed! Another great rod for the money is the Falcon rods, they are really good rods at about half their competitors prices. Loomis IS good stuff but IMHO they aren't worth 2-3Xs more than the other good stuff on the market. IMO you don't have to pay $200+ for a kickbutt rod.

STAY AWAY FROM ALL STAR! It makes me tear up to see what that company has become in the last 10 years. :very sad If you want something that fishes and performs like All Star then look at their cousins Cast Away and Challenger. (I have several Challengers IM-6s and IM-8s and they are great rods as well just heavier than the St. Croix's.)

Reel wise, I agree with Neal on the new Shimanos go with the Citica's. It pisses me off to see what Shimano has done with the new Curados. They are heavier and alot more expensive! :cuss My favorite all time baitcaster was the Curado Super Free but they had to go and fek those up as well. :banghead I wish they woulda left well enough alone.

Others from Pflueger and the new Revos from Garcia are excellent as well.

SET DA HOOK,
RA

Wicky

Dem Bugs Bunny stix of Neals IS purty sharp and ultra light! They also colored after the bestus college football team "Knoxville urnch"!!! :beer:

The last 4 rods I've bought were St. Croix Avid SCIIIs. For the money (usually around $125-$175) IMHO they are hard to beat, plus they are completely American made and backed! Another great rod for the money is the Falcon rods, they are really good rods at about half their competitors prices. Loomis IS good stuff but IMHO they aren't worth 2-3Xs more than the other good stuff on the market. IMO you don't have to pay $200+ for a kickbutt rod.

STAY AWAY FROM ALL STAR! It makes me tear up to see what that company has become in the last 10 years. :very sad If you want something that fishes and performs like All Star then look at their cousins Cast Away and Challenger. (I have several Challengers IM-6s and IM-8s and they are great rods as well just heavier than the St. Croix's.)

Reel wise, I agree with Neal on the new Shimanos go with the Citica's. It pisses me off to see what Shimano has done with the new Curados. They are heavier and alot more expensive! :cuss My favorite all time baitcaster was the Curado Super Free but they had to go and fek those up as well. :banghead I wish they woulda left well enough alone.

Others from Pflueger and the new Revos from Garcia are excellent as well.

SET DA HOOK,
RA

Sounds like were fishing nearly the same set up RA!
StCroix AC66s but, I do have an IMX in my artillery and I really really like it a lot.
All curados new and old. The green SF was the smoothest $149 reel of all time.
I have that on my trusty old Phenix rod.

RedAllison

"Alabama Buttweave"??? :cuss Randy that just SOUNDS wrong... :LMAO:

Checkout that site of Jmiles, he has approval for the Allison logo and can build "ultra custom" rods that actually match your boat!!! :cool

Gonna roll, roll SKRAIT and UP TOWN
RA

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
"Alabama Buttweave"??? :cuss Randy that just SOUNDS wrong... :LMAO:

Checkout that site of Jmiles, he has approval for the Allison logo and can build "ultra custom" rods that actually match your boat!!! :cool

Gonna roll, roll SKRAIT and UP TOWN
RA

Hahahaha...........You got a twisted mind RA. I never thought of it like that but, that is funny! I kinda liked the "Georgia Buttweave"..................lol

http://www.jmilescustomrods.com/Home

Last edited: