Best prop for SS2000

St

Hello!

What would you consider the best prop for a ss2000 Comp with 280+ sportsmaster 1.87. I'm looking for a prop with good top end speed, good cruising rpm at 80 mph and still good accelleration between 40-100 mph. Don't care much if its hard to get on plane.

I was thinking a 30" lightning et 3-blade would be a good chiose. Should I consider the 4-blade pro et 30"? Should I go in another diection.

Please share all your thoughts about any prop for the ss2000.

Cheers :at the bar

2003225X

I would think a 26 or 28 Lightning would be hard to beat. I would probably go with the 28.

St

What about the 4-blade pro et?

Do I gain anything from the extra blade, or will I just loose some top end?

Bobalouie

It "should" handle a little better with the 4 blade, and you probably wouldnt lose enough to notice on the top end if your setup is good.

ziemer

The exact Hoss Triton 28" on my boat now, went 118 on an SS Comp, so I'd say they'll do the job too. :at the bar

DOUBLE J

Either a Hoss 28 Triton or 30 lightning et (my favorite, had same boat and motor combo as you).

suicidealli

You won't have a problem getting out of the hole with either.
I would say a 30 if you have a 7750 rev limiter. ET, cut chopper, hoss.
The 28 will be easier to drive.

Roy

St

What about the Mazco Re3. I have read a test where the boat had almost identical setup as I have and the re3 showed out to be really good.

The lightning et or mazco re3? What would be you pick if you not had the chance to test either of them?

suicidealli

I liked 14" or 14 1/8 diameter on my ss. A ET cut chopper was hard t beat. A ET
is 14 1/2" but runs very well on the big end.

Test some props, and see what you like. Everyone is different.

Roy

ally2dextreme

I would give the hoss a try,out of the 100 props i have the orginal hoss that came on my boat is my favorite.I won the first prop hydromotive gave away at the rally and it is awesome ,it is a 24 tx3 so you dont get the mph rush but it was the most neutral prop ive ever run,like a yamaha drag..very smooth,i need to try a 30 tx3

On Tap

I've run many props on my Super Sports over the last 10+ years. I can't say I've run 100's like some guys here have, but here's my experience on the props your considering:

Currently I have a 2011 Super Sport w/Merc 280 / 20"-Sportmaster.

Bought a new 14.25 Hoss Triton 28" at one point. It didn't carry the boat as well as others. Just didn't seem to bite & hold very well. Had Hoss work it again, however didn't see much change.

Bought a new 14.5 30" RE-3 and really liked it. Only downside was that it generated a lot of steering torque. (was an issue on my 1999 Super Sport because I didn't have the hydraulic steering)

Bought a new 14.5 30" Lightning ET and love it. Best prop I've ever had on this boat/motor combination. Amazing hole-shot, Extremely strong mid-range, and great top end.

I've heard guys really like the Allison Cut props from Performance Props in Soddy Daisy, TN. I've never run one, but I've heard other Super Sport owners that have really liked them.

Hydromotive makes some excellent props and Todd will work with you to dial a prop in perfectly for your boat/motor.

Absolute BEST ADVICE I could offer... Try whatever you can. Boat, gearcase, set-up, weight distribution, driving style, as well as other factors make every boat different.

Good Luck.

Be Careful!!!

K

St

Really good post!!! Very helpful!!

If you igonore the fact of steering torque (I do have hydraulic steering), how does the RE3 hold up against the lightning et as for top speed, acceleration, which produces higher speed at the same rpm (lower slip number)

These are the exact 2 props I'm considering to buy, but I live in Sweden so once I buy it, there's no regrets. :p It has to be right the first time.

On Tap

I have hydraulic steering on my 2011 Super Sport, so I wouldn't hesitate to run an RE-3 again.

Honestly, the RE-3 and ET are both great props. I think you'll be happy with either.

If it were me, I'd go with the ET. I think it has better hole-shot and maybe a little better mid-range. Top-end numbers are probably close, the ET might be a tick faster.

Keep in mind though, that was a new RE-3 that I had worked (by Mazco) to perform how I wanted it to. An RE-3 you order might not perform the way mine did for me (might be better, might be worse). Mazco is really good to work with and I think they provide a free re-work if the prop isn't exactly how you want it. John (Mazar?) was excellent as far as discussing how I wanted the prop to behave differently when talking about the re-work he did on it.

You don't get any re-work offers with the ET. But then again, my ET didn't need any adjusting. It was awesome right out of the box.

K

St

Thanks once again! :) :)

This is exactly the information I was looking for!!! While I'm not will be able to take advantagge of the rework possibilities, the lightning et perhaps is the "safer" alternative in my situation.

SSTOM

Yamaha's,ET's are great props on the SS my favorite prop of all on my SS is a 14x28 Butterfly cut chopper it out accelerates the ET and is a couple mph faster on the big end. For all out acceleration and quickness I love my true Yamaha drags. Tom