BEST LIGHT WEIGHT TROLLING MOTOR?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Who makes the best foot-controlled, 12V trolling motor, lightweight, with a quick release option?

I want to go from the 24V to 12V in my XB2003 and would like to hear what you guys think.

chad202

I'm running a 12V Motorguide Pro Series 55# thrust. It has a 42" aluminum shaft. It doesn't come with a removable mount but motorguide makes a removable mount for around 50bucks. This TM replaced a 67# 24V Pro Series and I can tell this one is a little lighter due to the shaft being aluminum instead of stainless. It's pulls the boat around with no problem. I'm running two D34M opima batteries.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Chad...Bait you are dating yourself I think Hamilton-Beach went out with Monty Hall & Let's Make a Deal.... :D

XB21er

jimmyb

the gator 360 mount is nice and lightweight... I ran one on my XTB for the last 1/2 of my tournament season.

however, you will definately need to mount it on a removable plate to mount it on the front end of the the XB2003 because the 360 mount only uses 4 motor guide mounting holes (instead of the 6-8 holes that a normal gator mount uses) and those 4 holes are at the "4 corners" of the mount so it wont match up to the motorguide holes that you already have in your xb2003. The 360 mount is cast aluminum, so drilling holes is problematic...

lou, give me a call or email if this doesnt make sense

froggy

Lou,

Choice #1is a short paddle, drill holes in the handle, not the blade!

Choice #2 is an older, 12V, Johnson/Evinrude foot control. Much lighter bracket than the others, lighter motor and very good quality. There are still some, brand new, 12V models, if you look hard enough.

Choice you didn't ask for is a 12V Mercury thruster plus on a Byrd bracket!

froggy

ally2dextreme

motorguide

i have the 12 volt yall are talking about used very very little 4 sale cheap give me a shout 980 234 8824 thomas

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hey Thomas can you send me a pic or a link to where it or one like it can been seen, thanks... fastxb2003@aol.com

Lou

Thanks Craig, Jimmy, Froggy...what the haell is a Merc thruster plus on a Byrd bracket?

RedAllison

Walp, I've seen LLDoggg "fish" and my question is not WHICH trolling motor he needs, but more like WHY???

Need a bow thruster for port duty or what? :p
RA

ps
Oh I know, just kinda wantin to "complete the look" thang on your ProSport huh? :roll: lmao

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Shut up McDizzle, at least I ain't quit TRYIN to fish and I've had my line wet in the last 9 months unlike Brokeback RearHatch RDW..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

XB21er

Now Y'all didn't know that Bill Dance ain't got nothin on Lou. :D He met us at the Delta for some fishing last year. :D

R

Redding XB21

:D nice fish !!!! On the delta? :wink: I think I know the slough.
Gene

jimmyb

dang, lou, where did you get that tackle box???? i need to get one like that!!! does it fit in the storage compartment ok? or do you need an organizer?

hehe

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
It cracks me up to see those guys carryin ALL that stuff :lol:

XSive

Lou told me that he got rid of that big heavy tackle box and he just borrows the wifes purse and tosses a few lures in. He says that perfume and lipstick scent really attracts to fish!!

Just funnin' ya Lou.